Seeding, Utorrent cripples browsing +++

jend

Hi all

I'm not quite sure where this belongs, so if you think it should be somewhere else...

I've always had trouble with my DL speeds using Utorrent, in that they aren't as good as my connection speed should give... when I was on 2meg down it was a nightmare to get a good speed, then I got a 8meg down line and it got a lot better, its a bit random as its up to 8meg so bugs out at peak (UK) times but is much better. About 2 weeks after getting a better line I put on Vista... Utorrent bugged out totally as did my whole connection until I did a bit of Googling and disabled TCP/IPv6 then it went like someone stuck a rocket somewhere! :) (why did XP start fast on any DL Utorrent or other and then slow down whereas Vista starts slow and speeds up???)

Anyway! I still have a problem with Utorrent crippling my browsing, it did in XP and it does in Vista; I try to DL using Utorrent while working but I always loose the will to live and stop the DL until I'm not working online/asleep/otherwise occupied... My DL are taking up most of the 'computer not in use' time but I'd really like to be able to seed more as well... with Utorrent hogging the line so much I just can't... I've done the FAQ's, Google to death and never been able to get that part of it sorted so any help would be appreciated...

Note, when I say working, I need to access a lot of online databases where I need to view images, most are somewhere between 500k and 1mb but I have to access a lot of them...

TIA

Jen

What's the measured speed of your connection, both Down AND UP?

(Your ISP may not be giving you what it claims!)

What settings are you using, as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?

(Speed Guide wants to know your max UPLOAD speed, not download! Plus, there are a lot more settings than just speed shown by that window!)

Have you changed any of µTorrent's advanced settings?

(Some settings changes can crash µTorrent and possibly even your computer as well!)

DreadWingKnight

Thanks but I've done the FAQ's do death and searched the forum with a fine tooth comb...

Switeck

Measured speed of connection... I had a 2mb connection, fairly stable, always doing about 150 - 250 down, up has always been about 340 - 350 so use 256k, tried 386 but it made it worse.

I'm now on 'up to 8mb', it varies so much I can't give a standard down, it can be anything between 70 - 100 at peak times, over 900 at others, up is always the same 340 - 350, its obviously a demand thing, I didn't pay any extra to get up to 8Mb, so can't complain too much really! :)

Speed settings are standard 256... on preferences I have outgoing encryption forced, if I put this back to default my downloads bug out to about 2 or 3k.

Since moving to Vista, apart from disbaling IP v6, I've found setting net max half open to 4 makes a huge difference to my DL speed also setting net bind ip to my address on the router seems to have made a difference.

I'm happy with my DL speed, it's been a lot easier to sort out with Vista.

Considering that this problem occured with XP and Vista could it be the Router that's causing the problems with my browsing while downloading?

Thanxs

Jen

EXTREME CONSERVATIVE SETTINGS CHANGES:

Turn off DHT (both kinds).

Disable Resolve IPs under the Peers Window. (That's expensive window-dressing considering it doesn't help download+upload speeds any.)

Reduce half open connection max to maybe 1-4. (You're not firewalled in µTorrent, right? ...so it shouldn't hurt as much as you might think!)

Disable resolve country flags in advanced.

Disable "Enable Local Peer Discovery".

Lastly, reduce total connections to 100 or less.

...maybe even as low as 20 per torrent, though 40 is probably better.

Archived