Anyone having trouble with utorrent locks, gobble RAM and continues?

Juggernaut

Hello. v 1.2.3 BETA

Ocassionaly my utorrent stops downloading, and "locks" (i.e. doubleclicking on tray icon does nothing), has some enormous HDD activity meanwhile RAM for the process is increasing up to ~160MB (where it stays until next lockup). It happens randomly, and utorrent is being locked for some 30-60 seconds or so so it isn't a major hassle.

Anyone familiar with this? :/

Only options I've changed is checking in "Limit the upload rate" in the global seeding priority page, and increasing D/L limit from 800kB/s to 950kB/s (I have a 10Mbit connection). My router and Internet connection didn't drop.

My DL is going steady on 950kB/s with 9 torrents running. This happened 2 times with fairly short interval while I was burning some DVDs (from another drive though and the processor is ~30% and I have ~1GB RAM free). Now the MEM usage for utorrent is ~170MB and everything is going fine so far.

1c3d0g> K thanks have now changed the settings to 4096 (From -1).

Firon> You mean while it was clobbering RAM? The app was locked so the GUI didn't show up until it was done, and now there isn't such error in the Logger tab nor in any column.

*Edit err.. I meant 40960 , but I followed Firon's advice and used 16 000 . thanks.

DVD burning is pretty disk intensive and might've prevented µTorrent from writing fast enough.

See if it helps the next time you burn a DVD... 16000 should be enough to deal with that.

Disk Overloaded is shown in the status bar, not the Logger. Granted, it's rather strange that it locked up, I haven't seen it do that before.

K time will tell :P But I have 3 dedicated Seagate SATA2 160GB 7200.9 drives (1 for OS/Apps/temp, 1 for seed/leech and 1 dedicated for burning from) along with AMD XP3800+. The burner is alone on a IDE-channel. So isn't it quite strange if it's the HDD who can't keep up when the burning is made from a completely different drive?

Although, even when burning from a dedicated drive the buffer goes down simetimes and it lowers the DVD-writing speed for example when I surf or such (strangely enough because the CPU isn't stressed and IE's temp-file is on another drive).

Guess having a dedicated drive isn't a guarantee that it will run independent of the other drive activities after all :/.

Juggernaut

I have been having the same problem with UTorrent freezing ever since 1.2 Mine has nothing to do with DVD burning it does it constantly. The worst is when I am trying to load a .torrent file it usually locks up. The Utorrent window goes white and it crashes. So I don't think it has to do with burning DVD's.

Firon> You mean while it was clobbering RAM? The app was locked so the GUI didn't show up until it was done,

No the rest of my system is fine. I usually just pull up the web and browse until it responds again. That's what mine is doing as far as locking up. I just reformatted and still same issue.

Now I've tried diskio.write_queue_size with both 16000 and 64000 , still same behaviour.. although now the lockup durations is taking longer, several minutes, they also occur when not burning DVDs. During these locks utorrent doesn't seed/leech anything but the rest of my Internet connection works fine.

When burning, the buffer for the DVD will go to almost zero, and this is not even using the same harddrive.

Windows 2003 which I'm using has crashed abruptly a couple of times as well so I think I'll convert back to XP someday when I have alot of time over and see if that helps...

What worked for me is doing the following:

Disable DHT: Options - Preferences - Folder Options - Enable DHT OFF

I also had the "Nvidia ForceWare Network Access Manager" in add/remove programs. Uninstalling this completely stopped the memory hogging once and for all.

Do these two things and you should be ok.

Some reflects about this problem:

First of all, I don't have the DHT enabled (my Netgear WGT624 crashes constantly when I have that enabled), and have my nvdia firewall disabled (although I have now uninstalled it as well).

I just realized I have Windows' paging file on the same drive as where I do the burning from (HDD3, HDD2 is the torrent activities, HDD1 is OS). And according to task manager, utorrent is now assigned ~190MB in WM Size even though I have >1GB free.

When utorrent locks and start hogging memory, it doesn't make any I/O Reads nor I/O Writes (as a matter of fact, "I/O Write Bytes" activity updates rarely but "I/O Other Bytes" updates regurarly, which I assume is the paging file writes) but the HDD activity is lit constant anyway, so I assume it has something to do with Windows' memory handling and accessing the pagefile.

This also explains why the DVDWriter Buffer becomes zero because suddently HDD3 is busy with handling Windows' pagefile requests. And when I increased the disk cache buffer for utorrent, that probably meant that Windows' is assigning it even a larger chunk of the paging file, making the problem even worse because then it has to write/copy more data from HDD3=>HDD2.

In other words I don't think it's utorrent fault, sometime maybe the buffer needs to be flushed to the HDD, and that means it must copy data from the paging file on HDD3 => HDD2, and that's probably why the utorrent Internet activity stops because both those drive becomes busy as hell.

Conclusion: I don't think I can solve this particular problem without either disabling the paging file or somehow be able to tell Windows' not to use Paging File for utorrent, which I don't know any way of doing.

(Disabling the paging file is generally a bad idea and is not recommended from Microsoft. Various articles about the subject exists here and there on the net)

Juggernaut:

● Is DMA enabled on all your drives?

● I assume you've left diskio.flush_files to true?

● Are all your drives defragmented properly?

● Are all your system drivers updated? Some PC's with AMD CPU's + nVidia chipsets have trouble maintaining stability. Have you tried the default M$ drivers?

1c3d0g,

>Is DMA enabled on all your drives?

They are all SATA-II drives, I have no such option for them. The speed test in win2k3 shows ~50,~65,~65 MB/s in substained speed for HDD1-3

>I assume you've left diskio.flush_files to true?

Yes

>Are all your drives defragmented properly?

HDD2 149 GB Total, 25.47 GB (17%) Free, 15% Fragmented (31% file fragmentation)

HDD3 149 GB Total, 82.57 GB (55%) Free, 0% Fragmented (0% file fragmentation)

>System drivers...

Well I can't connect and see with asus Liveupdate atm but I doubt they will change any WM settings for utorrent.

Regarding the fragmentation I guess that could be a problem although I've read that NTFS and fragmantation issues isn't an issue ;). But sure I'll defrag it when it becomes available and see if that will do any good.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm...I see. :| Many people are reporting the same "hard disk trashing", "system unresponsiveness" etc. that you're experiencing...perhaps there's a bug somewhere in µTorrent that only exposes itself on AMD + nVidia chipsets, since I haven't heard people with Intel chipsets complain about this (yet). Or maybe it's just buggy system drivers after all.. :/

Some updates regarding my problem, one of the RAM module was erroneous (the computer finally died and nothing worked until I removed the broken module tested with app from memtest.org, which I should've tried before wasting my OS partition :/). So hopefully my computer will be a little more stable now :).

(the RAM was CORSAIR 2GB DDR PC3200 400MHZ 2-3-3-6 (TWINX2048-3200C2), newly bought like the rest of the components in the computer)

[Edit17Dec05.1320]Well the RAM wasn't the trouble... just got a lockup like before even with working RAM.[/Edit]

Archived