Won't connect automatically

Emanresu

I have a minor problem, which isn't really supposed to be in this section, but whatever.

When I add a torrent to uTorrent it starts and connects to the peers, no problem there. But let's say I'm the only seeder. When others start their torrent, they won't automatically connect to me. I have to restart it or click "update tracker" to connect. It will "update tracker" after a while automatically, but it takes a while. Is there a way to the automatic "update tracker" function in uTorrent happen a lot more frequently, or is there any other way around this problem. It takes so long that the other peers probably stop the torrent because they dont think its working.

If you are announcing to the tracker, a tracker scrape will show you as a seeder (1) connected. Update tracker does not force connections to happen between peers. When peers start up they may spend a minute idling, but once the handshake happens, depending if you set initial seed mode, you should be uploading the minute they connect. For instance I started a torrent yesterday. It is 3.5 GiB and I stopped all other torrents to help this out for the first 8 hours. This got me to a .102 ratio and .053 availability. Why you ask, since that's saying I sent out 10.2% of the data... well a peer disconnected who had a majority of my upload. After I noticed that I changed to initial-seeding since the swarm had grown from 1 seed and 0 peers to 1 seed and 12 peers (of which I could connect to 8). Once the peers announced and got my IP:port, their handshake started the communication and I have seen them in my Peers tab ever since.

I can't forward my ports, which is why I wondered if there are any alternatives. Is it impossible to alter the frequency of "update tracker" function? It seems it doesn't happen faster than once every 30 minutes or something. If I don't click it manually it won't connect to new peers before a long while.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived