Possible temporary workaround for comcast throttling

DescentJS

Comcast has been using that sandvine program in my area for several months now, however, a few days ago I found that if i used ipfw to block all tcp packets containing the reset flag the sandvine program was unable to block my uploading.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wipfw

obviously, blocking any reset packets is not a good longterm solution, however, it is useful at the moment.

If you didn't know the current pre-beta 1.8 line of uT implements IPv6 tunneling using Teredo (built-in but not turned on in XP, default ON in Vista). It is essentially a wrapper for IPv6 datagrams using IPv4. This also gets around the sandvine RST injection because well.. it's IPv6 I guess?? lol

Nice project read too, thanks.

Blocking RST packets won't help...ComCast is sending RST to the OTHER ends as well, you end up with a 'connection' to no one. :(

You will QUICKLY accumulate 100+ dead connections like this -- probably in as little as 1 minute alone if your half open rate is greater than 8...or if the torrents have lots of peers+seeds trying to contact you.

Once that happens, even pretty stable networking hardware and software may overload. If not at 100 dead connection, then at 1000, or at 65535. :P

Other methods have to be used instead or as well...

Teredo (link in the 1.8 thread up top) is IPv6. That's its advantage I guess, since IPv6 is currently unaffected by the interference packets. And yes only 1.8 users will benfit since only THEY have an automated way to get other peers' addresses. If you knew other IPv6 peer addresses you could manually add them (I don't know/remember 1.7's support of IPv6 peers/trackers/etc).

DescentJS:

Give dropping RST packets up, it doesn't work. I've tested it. It does build up a large number of half-open connections, because your peer drops his side of the connection and you don't.

The reason you don't see the buildup of half-open connections is because your network stack is fooled into thinking it is still connected with the peer, but it is not. Your "netstat -ano" will show that you're still connected, but you'll find that you are no longer receiving piece requests from those peers.

Wow guys -- I'm really happy to hear that the Teredo tunnels are working! That's excellent!

edit: I need to learn how to spell Teredo

I'm having no prob with uploading; it's the downloading that I'm not getting. Everything says "Error: The System cannot find the system path specified." Force Start only works for about 30 seconds, then the same message shows up. Force re-check is just as futile.808

You have a different problem. You're trying to save your file to an invalid location.

1. Stop your download

2. Right click on the download in the Task list and choose Advanced, Set Download Location

3. Use the dialog box to either correct the download location or to choose a brand new one

It may build up half open connections. However, it's definitely having an effect. Without blocking the packets I can barely upload at all. But on the same torrent with packet blocking enabled I can get a steady 40kB/s upload speed.

You are sending bits into the Ether. The distant end of your connection is not actually receiving the data. On the distant end, the socket is closed. (If uTorrent is counting those unacknowledged bytes, it's probably a bug.)

You are sending bits into the Ether. The distant end of your connection is not actually receiving the data. On the distant end, the socket is closed. (If uTorrent is counting those unacknowledged bytes, it's probably a bug.)

Even though I can still see new piece requests coming in?

The problem I'm experiencing is that as soon as I start bittorrent or utorrent, my webpages on all computers using that connection slow to dial-up speed.

Throttling the DL/UL has no effect.

As soon as I quit the program, it returns to normal.

This happens at all hours of the day, day or night.

Archived