My PC crashed, and now all the torrents are gone from utorrent!

naboth

My PC has crashed before, but it has never affected utorrent in this way. The torrents have always been waiting for me just like normal. But this time, I click on utorrent after rebooting, and it's empty. Is there some cache file that I need to access or something? Is there anyway to fix this issue without re-adding every torrent manually? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Well, if you check your Start / Run / %Appdata%\uTorrent directory, you should see a Settings.old file. Try quitting uTorrent, backing up Settings.dat and renaming Settings.old to Settings.dat, it might work. If it doesn't, then you'll have to add all the .torrent files again and point them to the same dirs. as before in order to pick up from where you left off.

As I often tell people who've gone through such a bad experience, always keep backups of your working settings. All that involves is regularly ZIPing the contents of the %AppData%\uTorrent dir. and keeping it somewhere safe. You could even create a batch file and schedule it using the Windows scheduler so it happens without you bothering to remember it every time.

Regularly after a crash there is only a SMALL window to retain your previous settings. Within 30 seconds of starting uT after the crash ( I may be mistaken but I think this has changed in recent 1.8 builds ) the "new" settings.dat is renamed settings.old and you lose your only possibility for recovery of old settings/loaded torrents. I have posted before about my methods (winrar + my name will bring you those) but I offer http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=291377#p291377 as a concise if verbose methodology. I'm sorry for your loss, but believe me after i started pumping everything I had into my uT production instanceI made backups every 60-90 minutes :)

Archived