Torrent traffic blocked by university network

SegaRob

I have a similar problem. but I know that my university doesn't block this. I will have seeders and leechers and will download for periodic spats, only to stop and shut down the internet for a bit. so I will be downloading at 80kbs and then it will drop to 0, and then back up within 2 minutes. Is there a way to fix this???? is this a configuration speed error or something?

:( OK, sounds like whatever management setup your university uses does a regular reset. Perhaps you must limit your settings further (5 or 10 peers per torrent 2 torrents), or will have to live with it :/ You could always try asking the IT guys for your network.

Once you get it working at limited mode, if that's TOO limited for you, trial and error will be needed to get it running again with more options enabled.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31998

It's a testing build that hasn't yet been polished to be ready for widespread, general use. It works quite well for many (most?) people, but there's always a chance it might mess up on you. The only way to know for sure is to test it yourself :P Just a word of warning... Since it's possible that the alpha might cause you problems, you might want to test the alpha in a self-contained install.

I tend to doubt that it'd get past a university firewall, though, as they generally just block things they don't explicitly allow outright rather than throttle.

I have the same problem with my university.

I hope there's an alternative to a proxy. I mean I can directly download at 100kb/s, and go to virtually any site without problem. There must be a way to camouflage the program's traffic to allow torrents to work.

Through their computer centers I've been able to use Opera's in-browser torrent client, despite other clients not working. But on my laptop even opera fails to download torrents.

Archived