Utorrent prevents standby when it shouldn't

markino

Has anyone else found this? Is it likely to be fixed?

In V1.7.5 and V1.7.6, with scheduler in use and "Prevent standby if there are active torrents" checked, simply having Utorrent running prevents standby permanently. This happens whether the scheduler is allowing torrents to be active or not.

In other words, Utorrent prevents standby even if the scheduler has stopped all downloads. This is obviously not desireable behaviour. The scheduler should stop preventing standby as soon as it makes all torrents inactive. For my money, it should also wake the computer from standby to start downloads, but that is a missing feature rather than a bug.

Couldn't see a fix listed under the announcements for 1.8, but I'll give it a try, thanks.

---------------------

Okay, tried it but the same behaviour is apparent: standby is permanently disabled while "Prevent standby if there are active torrents" is checked, even when scheduling has stopped all torrents.

The only things that restore standby function, are a) unchecking "Prevent standby if there are active torrents", or B) manually marking torrents as finished.

This seems consistent, so ultimately I'm not sure if this is so much a bug as unexpected/undesireable behaviour. It seems to me that this checkbox has no connection to the scheduling function. Standby should be restored when scheduling has stopped a torrent. Also, as I mentioned before, it would be good if scheduling would wake the computer out of standby to resume active torrents.

i still have this problem in 1.7.6

i reported it way back in 1.6x to now it is still doing the same thing

with or without that check box selected.

and i've even installed a brand new fresh OS, after filling disgusted by VISTA i went back to XP

i'll have to try 1.8 to find out if it improves there

Nobody is talking about "unclear", but since you ask: what seems to be unclear is what constitutes an "active" torrent.

In my world, an active torrent is one that is currently uploading/downloading. If the scheduler has stopped all activity, then obviously there are no "active" torrents, and hence there should be no reason to "Prevent standby when there are active torrents", should there?

This was pretty clearly expressed in the first post, and again, is not desireable behaviour.

In my own case, I have the scheduler set to allow torrent activity between midnight and 8am (ISP unrestricted data hours). So when it gets to 8am, with the current behaviour, Utorrent keeps the computer on for 16 hours unnecessarily, waiting to resume activity at midnight, instead of returning proper control to OS power settings.

Sensible behaviour would be to keep the PC on while active, allow it to standby/hibernate/whatever while not active, and wake the PC if necessary to resume activity.

I think AllGamer has the same problem as I have.

I suspect that the check box does what it was originally intended to do, but (not wishing to speak for the developer) without taking into account the effect it would have on scheduling.

re WOL, if you're talking about my suggestion of waking the PC, I'm not suggesting Wake-on-Lan, just a scheduled task to wake the computer at the specified time/s. Then preventing standby while torrents are active would do the rest.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Isn't what the same thing as what?

With computers: On, Standby, Hibernate and Off are power states, all with defined characteristics.

Basically:

On is fully on.

Off is (pretty much) no power going to any component (although there are exceptions).

Standby (although there are couple of different varieties) is where power is maintained to memory but everything else gets switched off, but the system can be brought almost instantly back to power on.

Hibernation is where the contents of memory are written to a file on disk - it takes longer to enter this state than Standby, and longer to come back to full power state, but if the power is cut for any reason, the file on disk is unaffected and no work should be lost (which it could be with Standby).

But all of this is probably irrelevant to the matter at hand (and I'm not really sure why you are questioning my use of the word "Standby" which is mentioned in the function itself - "Prevent Standby while torrents are active").

We are talking about whether (and when) Utorrent will return power control to Windows to automatically put itself into Standby/Hibernation/whatever as specified in the Windows control panel. That's what this "Prevent Standby while torrents are active" function does - stops Windows from controlling the power state.

yes it's the same scenario that markino described

he was able to explain it better, than i was in my original post from way back then :P

it doesn't bug me as much, but it'll still be nice for it to work as "intended" when you have the check box enabled or not.

Like at least let the monitor / video card go into standby mode, instead of keeping them on all the time when it's not even needed, when you are downloading / seeding.

i don't mind having the CPU / HDD running all the time, since they are on all the time anyways, what bugs me are the monitors unable to go into standby, forcing me to turn off both LCDs and turning having to manually turn the both back On when i need it, instead of easily click a button in the keyb, or move the mouse and has it resume from standby

jewelisheaven - Your message is not clear. Can you be clear who you are replying to, and which points?

From the beginning, I have not been referring to monitors being on standby - monitor standby is NOT what this checkbox refers to anyway. It is referring to the whole PC being put into standby - something which happens after a period of inactivity set in the Control Panel/Power settings.

The UT checkbox "Prevent standby while torrents are active" prevents the whole system from going into standby even when torrents are inactive due to UT scheduling.

In Windows the Standby settings applies to all the hardware, you can configure specific devices ON and OFF

the point is when uT is running (regardless of the uT settings for standby) Windows just can't seem to go into any sort of Standby.

If uT can return the Power Controls to the OS, then it doesn't matter what kind of Power Profile you have configured for Standby, it'll just work if Windows had control of it.

So it seems like when uT is running, but even with inactive torrents, uT is not returning the Power Controls back to the OS, as it was suppose to do?

I whole-heartedly report and understand I have no comprehension of stand by. The only place I see it mentioned is under said power profiles under display settings in windows XP. "when I press my power button,do xxx" which is set to standby. However that is not the case since in my BIOS i have it set to instant off, not 3 second wait for off. However right now with my settings as is: Turn off monitor 20 minutes, turn off hard disks Never, system standby after 5 hours, I can get my monitor to turn off with uT running AND with that "disable standby". I have even lowered monitor turn off to 1 minute... so if you are unable to get your monitor to go into power saving mode.. perhaps you need to check those settings.

during my tests, i've gone as far as setting all of (Turn off monitor, hard disks, and system) them to 1 min, and it doesn't kick in.

but when uT is not running, then after 1 min, the machine goes into standby as configured.

and yes that is what we were talking about.

we understand it should Not go into standby if there are Active torrents, but this happens even when there are no active torrents.

maybe here's another way to look at this problem.

does torrents needs to be completely STOP for it to be not considered active?

are Paused (with no numbers moving) considered active?

are Queued or Started (but idle ) torrents considered active?

AllGamer - According to my tests it seems that uT is considering Paused and Queued as active torrents.

But as to your monitor not turning off, there must me something wrong at your end, maybe something is not letting your power options trigger in case data is being transferred over your network. Because, in my case, the monitors are turning off as they should whether the "prevent standby" was on or off.

• 7 months later...

I wanted to use the "prevent standby" feature too, but it just makes no sense to me in its current form. There is a column "#" at the torrent list which shows if the seeding goals have been achieved or if the torrent is still downloading. And if all goals are reached, the "*" disappeares and the field gets empty. To my opinion, THIS should be the indicator whether µtorrent should prevent standby or not. If you are not my opinion, I still think it should be at least made available as an option besides the current behaviour.

Please, think about it a while, thanks!

Apart from that I think µtorrent is pretty awesome and the best client I have seen in years

Archived