Learning but still Lost

NIck4599

New utorrent user-Been "working" (learning and trying to figuring things out) on my connection for about 6 hours now, maybe more. I have been to the portforward.com site, and read all about what port forwarding is and how it works, however, there isn't a guide for my router

Air Live WL-5460AP v2 -been to their site & manual... dead end

Speed test results ... more or less I've done it several times results w/ large variation

DL: 350kbps-260kbps UL: 24 kbps-13kbps --not Exactly sure what this translates too but have experimented w/ several not seeing much difference

Windows Firewall & McAffe both have made exceptions for utorrent

connected to the router which receives its signal from a cable connected to a "dish" that wirelessly connects to the ISP (American living in Brazil so its new to me too)

I've seen about setting up a static IP address w/ DHPS and stuff but didn't get enough of the "process" to understand how to do this

I understand about the Port number and stuff but don't know where to set this stuff up

In terms of other speed stuff, I have gone through the walk throughs for optimal speed settings w/out luck, I think its being limited by the port (yellow triangle)

So although I've already learned a considerable amount and gotten frustrated a few times, I'm taking deep breaths hoping somebody can help me with Port Forwarding, maybe utorrent is over my head but I can follow directions I just need them.

Thanks so much for the help so I don't feel like I've wasted a day. I appreciate it, and I've tried very hard to make sure I'm not a leech thread who hasn't tried anything.

Firstly, welcome :D. Second have you read through the uTorrent Manual (found below as µManual)? It includes everything you'd want to know specifically about uTorrent. I can understand frustration of starting something new and having it not work quite like you intend.

I don't know for sure, but I think since you're getting internet through satellite that you will never be able to turn your icon green... This is evident if your IP address, even on the WAN side of your router is not a public IP, but instead still in the private IP ranges of 172.x.x.x 192.x.x.x and 10.x.x.x. Are those speed test results when NO other traffic is running? Heh, static ip is INSTEAD of DHCP ;).

I tried to make a post a while back for people who may not know where to look or who don't know enough about the underlying technology to know "where do I start?" Here is my post.

After reading through that, if you have other questions feel free to post them below :D

I will definetly check out the manual, I had previously only seen the Guide, Durh Nick :[.

Its not a satellite in the sense that it shoots into space the "dish"(not really that same shape just similar) points laterally to a radio tower like thing. I IP&DHCP does fall into one of those # ranges but the DNS servers don't. (can I not use utorrent : ( ?)

When I said w/DHcp it was cause I woulda had to switch them... like you said instead.

For the speed tests, I did have some that were considerably higher. I paused any downloads, and closed the other browsers, but it is possible other programs were still accessing the web. Thanks for the response I'll keep reading the manual. THANKS!!

mins. later....

Ok, I read the manual, and pretty much it, like the guide says go to Portforward.com where there would be another guide, but there isn't so I still need to know how to set up the static IP, and I know I need to switch the DHCP, but am confused on how to do this as well. Where would I see if I have the WAN IP and not just LAN IP? If I don't already have it I could probbably get it from the ISP, its a small town and small ISP, nice guys.

I can see how your other thread can help... can I use the port from speed guide, even if speed isn't exact? The IP I can see with the run code-cmd /k ipconfig /all , is that the LAN IP? No inbound or outbound Port section. It is possible there is a firewall in the router, but I don't know how to check, I think somewhere is a functioning firewall (based on a limewire icon)

What do you need to know to help me better, I appreciate what you've done so far!!

I had paused downloads, although there may have been an upload going, can I pause downloads, close utorrent to run the speed check without losing what I've got? Any basic windows programs I would need to shutdown for the check? Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

Using Numion....

Download Speeds (kbps) 270,281,283,289

Upload Speeds (kbps) 27, 68,87,85

The DHT was on and I switched that off based on some of the comments in the other thread... doesn't seem to have made any difference to anything

Just discovered where there is add port, under the windows firewall, is this important?

Well your connection appears to be xx/96 or lower, so what I'd advise is to set that as your baseline under the Speed Guide (Ctrl-G in uT)... which will give you 7KiBps upload bandwidth. Converting for units you MAY be able to hit 34 KiBps download sustained, but due to the low upload I would not bet on that. I would also keep DHT off in your client as well as perform the other "limited settings" actions from post #2 in the How-To. They don't add real utility and are a KILLER for impacted lines like yours. You can try manually adding the port, but as I said previously I'm not sure it will matter if you aren't getting a true WAN (Internet IP). The ISP guys sound helpful, and you can ask them if you need to make any special settings to get ports open, but I'd think they'd probably redirect you to software manuals.

Since you won't really benefit from DHT and its load, you don't need to worry about "UDP Protocol" for your port. Bypassing that problem for the moment, if you run a short test 1-2 minutes long using http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/ do you get the speeds I estimated? OH! Thanks for your patience and you're learning quite fast. :D

I had already done all the limiting things but the Peer IP resolve... Do I need to restart again for that? Also, the Patching TCPIP link doesn't load for me (How-to Post 2). If I try adding the port what is the number for utorrent? (even if it may not work, worth a shot) What do I do for the test at that link, which Office to select ect. is it a download to see how fast that goes? Sorry if this seems tedious, it just wasn't obvious to me. Anyways, THANK YOUUU for YOUR patience and help.

I went from yellow triangle to red circle... I'll double check the firewall, hmm.

Restart reqired? No. The changes are immediate. You shouldn't patch your tcpip.sys especially on such a low-bandwidth connection. It will only hurt your speeds. The uT port is whatever you set under the Speed Guide or Ctrl-P -> Connection. Select the most recent.. it should still be 2.3.1 iirc. Yep! you've got it. Since you know your theoretical speed max, and your sustained speed if not mucked with should be 80-90% of that, you know what kind of speed you're shooting for :D

Any other questions?

nope, I will do the speed test again, but if ur curious, I left it going over night and unlike when I started with a max of around 3kBs, it has gotten to (over the last hour) a peak of 31 kBs, judging by how much got done (more than triple) in almost double the time I had going yesterday, it ran high quite a few times. I would say the medium now is around 12 or 14, while it was 1.2 kBs earlier. Thanks so much for your help!

YAY! I'm glad you weren't stuck on 24Kbps, that would have been horrendous. >< Since bittorrent is based on tit-for-tat giving, especially on a low number of peers in the swarm, say you start out "fast"... and connect to 10 people. After not getting anything from you for 5 minutes or more those 10 people essentially "block" (technical term snub) you from getting packets from them unless they unchoke you (cyclic usage of 1 upload slot every minute I think)... repeat for all 5 groups of 10 peers in a swarm and you get bupkis!

Good to hear about your success, it was fun learning more about the different ways we all have to get internet these days, heh. What I ask in return is just to "pay it forward" (wikipedia) :D

OH! that 12 KiBps sustained upload is your max on xx/96 setting. You can change the upload higher (on your low line I'd only recommend changing it by 2 or 3 KiBps at a time and let it sit for 2-5 minutes) on this page:

utp3es0.th.png

Archived