Offline (timed out) and connection closed by peer -- please help!

nicole_m

I get these two error messages when I try to download anything. I've seen this topic posted before but I really can't understand the help people have been offering (most stuff with computers goes way over my head). But if you can bear with me I'd really be glad you helped -- there's a movie I need to download and watch for one of my classes in the next week or so and I'm trying to get it done early.

Thank you in advance!

Offline (Time Out)

usually there is no need to worry about them, they should come back after a few hours, minutes, days.

but if they remain forever like that, then it's a sign of a dead torrent.

if that is the case, then it's time to look for a new Tracker.

Connection Closed by Peers

usually means that you reach it, but for whatever reason they decided to disconnect you

Thanks for your quick reply! I'm not using a firewall but a router and a switch with port properly forwarded. It's the fact that it doesn't slow the uploads or downloads at all ... they keep going, but with the peer connection closing I don't think I am connected to the tracker, because I've gotten a couple erroneous hit and run warnings at a couple sites, even though I'm still seeding :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for your answers,

I download... I let the download all the night (vanuatu time) and it is working... I don't upload more than 0,6kb but my download is ok (10Kb... i am in vanuatu !! it is good here).

I still have connection closed by peer but if I try to download a file from more than 2000 sources I can download.

My Firewall is ok and when I tested with utorrent it said that the port is correctky open.

Do you think that I can do something to download the file with not so many seeds and peers?

If I put out encryption there is no download at all... I tried to play with a lot of parameters with no luck.

Thanks if you have any other idea.

Yea probably taking OFF encryption will make it very unlikely for you to download. It's not necessarily the number of peers in the SWARM, but the number of peers who CONNECT TO you. To be sure, try Ctrl-P -> BitTorrent ->Encryption to "FORCED" and untick "allow legacy connections"... it will impact you on smaller swarms and with peers who do not support encryption, but will get past basic shaping.

• 2 months later...

i am also on the pitifully slow 128k TVL vanuatu broadband and have EXACTLY the same errors as sayas... the only thing i notice is that SOME trackers work fine with no errors but some torrents through other trackers are fine. i know it's a local problem because when i go to australia every 3 months and use exetel connection, i have full access to all the torrents that are unavailable here - without changing settings at all... no idea why some work, some dont.

also unable to use proxy servers here to bypass region protected content such as UK Formula1 streams.

strange that an ISP with such limited bandwidth anyway tries to throttle d/l speeds in a country with no copyright laws anyway...

i m using u torrent 1.7.7 .till to two day before all is ok. but day before yesterday all downloading and uploading is stop and error comes is "Proxy connect error: offline (timed out)" and it not start till now error remains same.

i m also check for Ubuntu v7.10 64bit but same error comes.

for solve this i m also done one time windows format yesterday but after that utorrent show same error i.e. "Proxy connect error: offline (timed out)" .

i m also try different downloads but error is same...

pls help me i m not getting what i do????

i cant live without torrent plz help me...

Archived