new project idea

a1s19

Taking three ideas

- PC server

- website creation

- uTorrent

and mashing them together.

This is what i sent to a friend..

Do you know how torrents work? Same concept. If you could devise a way or a program that allows people to create "offline" webpages within a certain folder on their computer, other people will be able to find their site through a tracker. They then connect to the person and view anything and everything the person wants to display. People will essentially turn their computers into servers, into websites and a simple tracker website can catagorize them all. The program, i'd assume, is going to have a bunch of fileds for information to be filled in. All these fields will help catagorize the person's computer, or site, into the tracker.

I'm not sure how the network will actually work because with torrents the bandwidth is shared by the "downloaders". So, in this case, how the "viewers" are going to view your computer's website and share bandwidth is something that obviously needs to be figured out.

In essence, like the net, like torrents, it will be a spider-web of bandwidth. Someone will connect to your computer to the section in it that becomes your website and if others keep connecting to you then the files you are sharing, and ultimately being viewed by a few others, are shared to the others who are trying to connect to you.

A torrent tracker updates once in awhile though you can set it to update faster to find seeders (uploaders) and leeachers (downloaders). As we know, the more people downloading the more bandwidth is shared the faster people will get it.

Somehow a way to quickly notify other people who want to connect to someone's website and update them on how many people are connected needs to be devised. Now keep in mind, this netowrk system is not solely for the person to know how many computers are connected, rather it acts as the server, or tracker, or instructions of who is connecting to that website, their location, their necessary information in order to connect to them and others all at once.

Instead of downloading a torrent in order to download a file, or in this case to view a compsite (computer website), the tracker just acts as the server, like it does with torrents now, connecting computers to other computers.

Let's say you want to download 500gigs from someone's compsite. Anything that is not a file to download, like text information and the majority of someone site like the graphics, etc, is stored as temporary files, like a torrent. So let's say person A connects to person B's computer and is viewing their compsite. If person C wants to view person B's compsite a tracker will tell person C's computer that person A is also connected to the compsite. If there is nothing on the website that requires an active connection, then person A and person B's computers will connect to person C's computer and send the data to their computer. When person A or C wants to browse person A's computer they may click on a link, at which point the tracker will see if another connected peer has already been to that page at the same time it connects to person B's computer and transfers the data. Once the page is loaded the connection is ended.. well, for the most part, minus the tracker which keeps an active update of who is connected to each computer.

Ok, so finally person A wants to download 500 gigs from person B's computer. An active connection is made ebwteen the two computers and, as with any torrent, the number of downloaders will determine how fast each person is going to get the file. Since most internet connections have an upload bandwidth averaging maybe 40kbs, it is imperative that all connections between computers to the computer being accessed are cut-off after everything is loaded, and only the tracker keeps track of the certain actions as mentioned before.

Now, someone else, person D, connects to person B's computer and wants to download the 500 gigs. Well, a connection is esatblished between person B and person C. Since C has already been downloading and already has some of the file(s) the bandwidth then becomes shared.

As mentioned before, once the compsite is loaded, the connection stops unless there is a need for an open connection, for instance watching a movie on someone's compsite. This way each computer is able to transfer their compsite to any other computer at any time. The more people are viewing one person's computer the more the tracker has to let each computer know who has what information if they already have it. That way not one computer is trying to impossibly feed the entire network.

Now, i don't know why upload speeds are so slow, i assume it has something to do with servers being the main brain and directing so much traffic. However, i think that, like any network, if all computers were connected to each other instead of through a server that upload speeds would be a fast as download speeds.

If such a network could be devised where all computers are connected to one another and not through servers, than connections would not have to go to a main server but rather would find the quickest route through homes with a connection to such a network.

The time it takes data to get from one computer to another could be constatly updating so when you want to connect to someone's computer who lives down the street from you, you won't have to go through a server or homes with slow connections. The speeds may be read and the fastest route our path may be taken. As for downloading data the path from the computer being accessed spreads out through all surrounding computers, fast or slow, in order to send the information.

Welp, that's it.

-Austin

This would utterly destroy the plot against net neutrality and would totally revolutionize the net.

----------------------------

It's a rather large subject to be taking in, or be posting as a first post, but i think this gets the point accross. Just help people feel secure about their personal "property", not that it could be lost forever when some bug destroys google servers or whatever.

To re-cap, each person's computer becomes a torrent.

The actual torrent is their own, personal, home-based website that exists within their Folder, on their computer that acts as a server, using as much HD space as they are able to as their storage.

Like getting into PHP you'll find others asking for a program to review PHP-made content offline. Similarily one can create their website site "offline".

This requires a "package" or add-on to uTorrent that allows for a completely malleable environment for creating one's webpage. (The catch is making the site-building EXTREMELY easy with all the nuts and bolts completely behind the scenes. If it's otherwise, like manually typing in code then people won't jump on it; it'd be no different than signing up with any site.)

Integrating it into uTorrent is as easy as a tab. Let's say you are searching through the "new" section at torrentz.com through a choice of a multitude of search-fields, and you find someone who likes cats. You download their "torrent" (their folder, the way in which they set it up for you to view as their personal projection), start it, and watch how your other files are downloading or whatever. Then you click on (one of many?) "site" tabs and view their "page". It would function like any website.

Side-note/personal opinion.. I believe in defense, not offense. I believe all that is connected to the internet is fair-game for any possible (virtual) actions. I believe if this were a reality, defense over offense, security firms would be booming and hey, 9/11 wouldn't have happened in the first place! So, security-wise, regarding the possibility that you might have 1mill+ people digging through the folder on your computer at any given time (though technically just a few), one must take responsibility for their decisions to PUT themselves into that position in the first place with proper defense.

2 people are driving in opposite directions. One of them falls asleep, veers over and crashs into the other car. Is the person who fell asleep responsible or is it the person who didn't react to the oncoming threat? They both put themselves into the same situation..

That's all, folks.. tying up loose ideas.

Well, Firon, whether the creators of uTorrent want to make it or not it can only work with a torrent client. My friend from a WC3 modding site, of all places, is making a "HTTorent" protocol for browsing the net. He's currently making it as a Mozilla add-on. The point is that it would be rather easy to create. I'm no expert, neither is my friend, but downloading the contents of each page (as you view each page) to be displayed in a tabbed-window in a torrent client isn't much more than downloading a file and manually opening it.

It was from this idea that my friend decided to make the Hyper-Text-Torrent protocol. You may not see it happening with uTorrent but i'm sure if this idea got to the right people, within uTorrent and without, not only would they see it but they would jump on it.

You have the torrent client.

You have the http server.

(http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?qt=http+server&tag=srch&tg=dl-20)

And you have existing languages to choose from.

Or, for the web-making part of it, one could make it in flash, so each page is downloaded as a flash document.. I mean, whatever's easier.

If you know someone who may be interested, please send them this link. I don't care about my status within the project, i'd just like to see it exist for the benefit of all who are able to benefit from it.

• 2 weeks later...

websites etc is too dynamic and too small to bitTorrent.

The reason torrents work well is because it involves large volumes of popular and static information. If any of the highlighted factors are changed the efficiency of BitTorrent (compared to other methods) is reduced.

Small volumes = Server-to-peer

Unpopular information = Classic peer-to-peer (sharing information on a large searchable P2P network)

Dynamic information = Server-to-peer

Well i did say that each website or page could be (on-the-spot) transformed into a flash document to be downloaded and shared that way. Again, this stresses the importance of making offline web-creation for this idea to be easy enough to press a button and convert it all, or each page, to flash.

EDIT: Thanks for the input, though.

Hermm.. i can say "yes" but it doesn't mean we are talking about the same thing! hehe

There is a visual aid that helps you drag-and-drop pics and do everything, simplified, to create an offline website. The code would either be sent and viewed in tabs in the uT client or all of it transformed, as if an executable or flash document, and then uploaded/shared.

Your website is made from however much data you can hold and choose to share, and however you choose to display it. Your website would be searchable through a tracker through various search options. The more people wanting to connect to your website the more, like any file, the bandwidth is shared. However, unlike any file these websites are implemented into torrent clients and open like a regular webpage-within-a-browser except within the client itself.

Summed.

EDIT:

No more signing-up for web-creation. No more space-limit (except for the size of your HD), no more paying for web hosting, no more video limits (YT).

Instead of going to a... gulp.. dating website to search for profiles, you'd be doing the same thing with a tracker. The only difference is you'd download a torrent first and then be able to view the person's website.

It's going to happen and uTorrent could be the first to do it.. So it amps up the file size, who cares when you would be mashing all video, audio and web-viewing applications together. uTorrent could make it an add-on, though it would sooner catch like wild-fire and eventually be implemented into the base app.

Archived