Any suggestions with 10mb/2mb speeds?

zimbabweed

I really want to use utorrent, especially with the extremely minimal computer usage, but if my speeds are SIGNIFICANTLY slower why should I change and not stay with a faster client?

I have tried several of the tweaks suggested in other threads but I can't get them to work.

I have XP SP2 and WRT54GS, note I have no problems when using other clients, I just believe I need the right "tweaks" in order to get utorrent to work properly.

I have no problem uploading at ~2mb (~220 kB/s), but I have never downloaded any higher than ~90 kB/s no matter what settings I use.

Thanks for any help you might have.

Did you replace the firmware on the GS? You really should. :P The 54G/GL/GS have pretty severe P2P problems with the default firmware, and µT really stresses them (Azureus and BitComet do too)

Try 150 connections, 10 upload slots, cap your upload to 200 kB/s

Ok, here's what I did and now I'm seeing alot better speeds.

Under torrent options:

Global max connect. 9500

Max # of connect. peer/torrent: 7500

Number of UL slots/torrent: 250

Max active torr (UL or DL) 1500

Max active DL's 500

Before, when I used a high number I just put all 999's (as many as I could fit). Perhaps utorrent isn't designed to take all 9's as an option and just puts it back to default settings.

Global max connect. 9500

What are you on?

Max # of connect. peer/torrent: 7500

Why aren't you sharing?

Number of UL slots/torrent: 250

Seriously.

Max active torr (UL or DL) 1500

Max active DL's 500

Your settings look like something an untrained monkey would try.

More connections are more likely to slow you down.

On your connection, I would do:

300-400 global connections.

At most 70 per torrent connections

10-15 upload slots per torrent

Up to 7 active torrents

Up to 2 active downloads

Cap upload to 180-200kbyte/sec

Note than when using any client of bittorrent I'm never seeding/downloading more than 3 torrents. (Almost ALWAYS just 1.) So those last settings have no relevance to me. Guess I should've stated that beforehand.

Believe me, I have tried lower settings, similar to the ones you have provided, and never received DL speeds inexcess of 100kB/s however, I get speeds in excess of 500kb/s with my new settings, so whatever works for me should be fine until they don't, right? And I usually cap at around 150-180 kb/s, depending on whether I'm multitasking when using utorrent.

so whatever works for me should be fine until they don't, right?

Until you realise that you're trying up connections on hundreds of peers that are better off going to other downloaders. You're more likely to be harming the swarm in addition to yourself by having more peer connections.

When in doubt, increase JUST the upload slots.

and never received DL speeds inexcess of 100kB/s

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

Archived