uTorrent not playing ball

novelidea

Hello people. I just found this place!!

I've been using uTorrent for a couple of months now, and all is well, but a few days ago something went a bit strange.

When downloading from a link on a webpage, I would click the torrent link to begin download, and I would be asked whether I would like to Save the torrent file or Run directly (which would then begin the download in uTorrent.) Now though, when i click on a link, it just saves the torrent in a folder, and does not begin the download automatically, and does not give me the option to do this any more.

Hope this makes sense to anyone.

Can anyone help please? I just want to be able to start the download automatically, Not save the torrent file.

I checked out the link you gave. It says...

Make sure the "Associate with .torrent files" button is greyed out in the General section of the options. If it is and Firefox gives you errors like "Invalid menu handle" when opening the .torrent or opens another client, click (within Firefox) Tools -> Options -> Content -> Manage, remove TORRENT from the list and hit OK.

The last bit, to remove TORRENT from this list and hit OK - Well, I don't have anything in the list. It's completely blank.

Any ideas?

Ok, not quite what I want.

I went to main, changed the 'download to' folder, and I get the popup to choose where to save, but I don't want the popup asking me to save the .torrent file.

I only want the .torrent to Run and Automatically open uTorrent and begin download, just like it used to. Now I have to save the .torrent instead, than click on it to begin download. I want it to run automatically without clicking the .torrent file..

Hi again.

The window that pops up does not give me anything like 'perform always for this file type'. I only get an option to save the actual file by choosing OK or cancel it by Cancel. There is nothing about file types. I run Vista if this helps.

I have an option to skip hash check (not checked right now), add to top of queue (not checked right now), Start torrent (checked) and adding a label (empty right now)

Underneath these choices I have info on the file(s) downloading, and an area showing the file names. That's it. I basically run this to begin the actual download or not. If I click OK the download begins, if I click cancel, well - it cancels.

I am at a loss. I have tried every combination of the above choices but nothing makes a difference. All i can think of is to uninstall then re-install uTorrent and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. I did exactly what you said - I went to about:config and checked browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions option. I had one, and it was bolean and already set to false. I did everything else and still, no joy. It's Still downloading the link as a .torrent file, and does not Automatically start the download.

Also, you said that Afterwards, I should see the TORRENT file type listed in Firefox - sadly I don't. The file types area is still empty. Nothing at all in there.

Archived