Lockup, sometimes crash, when new RSS item match is posted

TimeHorse

My uTorrent locks up 80% of the time, crashes the other 20% (where I always choose to send the dump) whenever my RSS scanner finds a torrent I want and tries to insert it. I don't know what part of the RSS process is failing because torrents I want are always posted when I'm at work or asleep. Because my tracker is ratio based I get very bad scores because my uTorrent locks up and I don't see it for hours and can't restart it until I see it.

Anyway, I have sent the dump file and would be happy to post it here if I could but it's binary so it would not make sense to most. I design software for a living and would be happy to set up a debug environment if I could step into the code when it locks up and see what routine it was executing during timeout (though it's likely stuck in an event wait state which is deep in a kernel API but bless you call stack!)

Now, I have Verizon FioS which means I have a D-Link 604 router supporting PPPoE and a dynamic IP address that changes every few hours. There's nothing I can do about this, but I should think uTorrent is IP agnostic. I also run Azureus on the same machine but on a different port so it should not interfere.

Once I restart uTorrent, the RSS match is properly captured and starts downloading. It is only when the match is first posted that the systems locks up / crashes AFAICT.

I ran through the entire list of gotchas and have no matches. No NVIDIA Firewall (even the video card is ATI), genuine Intel, just ran Norton AV and that is up to date. So, nothing matches for me in the general problem list. I even run AdAware and Spybot S&D regulary to look for stuff Norton won't catch. I keep forgetting to generate the running programme list when I see the lock-up / crash because the lock-up / crash is so jarring and disheartening I feel too distressed to remember.

Is there anyone who can help me?

Crashing on RSS: I recall something in 1.7 ... Can you try the same rss.dat in a self-encapsulated 1.8? You can get it from the Announcements forum.

What does your filter for the RSS feed look like? Additionally sure posting the link to the uploaded .dmp here is helpful, as it allows direct correlation between experience/situation and effect :( It's odd that uT would only crash with RSS though. If you don't have RSS active is uT stable?

Err, if you're talking about the Process Explorer DLL list from the How-To for Troubleshooting you don't need to do it on a crash, you can do it once uT is up and running. Also does uT always crash cleanly and create relatively stagnant filesize dump files? If you have multiple dumps, including them all together may help.

Thanks for responding jewel! Yes, my uTorrent will run for days as long as no new matching RSS items are posted. It's not that the RSS item list changes, since those change almost every refresh. It's specificly when, I believe, it finds a match.

I'm hesitant to post my rss.dat because it had my personal passkeys in it, but here are the details of one of them that seems to cause the locking / crash:

Filter: *torchwood*

Not:

Save In: E:\Media\Torchwood\Unsorted\UKNova

Feed: http://www.uknova.com/...

Quality: ALL

( ) Episode Number...

( ) Filter matches original name

(*) Give Download Highest Priority

( ) Smart Episode Filter

Minimum Interval: (match always)

Label for new torrents: Torchwood

I wonder if the Give Highest Priority is the culprit?

Unfortunately, the best way for me to send you my dmp files is via my own torrent. I have 18 now since February and its crashing more than lockup up recently, thankfully. This torrent also has my install and uninstall which you can of course remove from the torrent when downloading. When it locks up, I just tell windows to kill it, so no dump.

https://timehorse.dyn-o-saur.com:7000/torrents/uTorrent.torrent?B71811F5B30603A903732936A69CF03F7F919F1F

User: uTorrent

Password: ink

Thanks for the advice, Firon. I put the rar on MediaFire as per your suggestion and my dumps can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?w1pxq2igb3z

As for Priority, yes, the torrent, when finally inserted, go properly go to priority 1. Also, I have one torrent now that I am trying to download that is 4.5 GB and seems to cause uTorrent to die after a very short period and the latest dump should reflect that.

The URL for the feed, I am looking at it now, looks good. I got a torrent file from it, and then sent it to uTorrent. It recognized it and inserted it just fine. So I'm confident the RSS is well-formed.

Anyway, any help you can send would be GREATLY apprecieted, even if it turns out to be something quite essoteric like running out of GDI resources or some thread deadlock. Thanks again all!

This bug is very interesting. There are many stacks in those crash dumps, but one that occurs frequently. That one is the most frequently (automatically) reported crash in uTorrent aside from bugs in nVidia firewall and such.

So imagine this bug is a major issue - good to finally find someone that can reproduce it :)

The stack for this crash is in the UPnP code. Are you using UPnP? If you disable it, do you still get crashes? Jewel also asked if you would try to run the RSS feeds with uTorrent 1.8, and I would be interested in the results there as well. Also, if you could reproduce it with minimal settings and a public RSS feed like something from tvrss.net, that would be exceptionally helpful.

I will be happy to, thanks, alus. I have turned off UPNP as that is probably the issue and now with your help I think we have a winner! In fact, I thought I explicitly turned UPNP off because I should not be running it with the DLink D-604; this is in the FAQ. But it wasn't, so now it is.

But, as for 1.8, I tried to download it but I got 7.2 for some reason. I went to the Announce thread this time and got the right one now, so I'll set it up to be a test system. Given that AFAICT the D-604's implementation of UPNP Nat is buggy, I don't know if I should bother trying 1.8 with UPNP on either, so I will run a test with it off first to make sure it's not a known D-604 bug.

Oh, and I'll look into replacing the D-604 if possible, though it has to run a custom firmware of some kind so I'm not sure this is possible.

Thanks again!

I will be happy to, thanks, alus. I have turned off UPNP as that is probably the issue and now with your help I think we have a winner! In fact, I thought I explicitly turned UPNP off because I should not be running it with the DLink D-604; this is in the FAQ. But it wasn't, so now it is.

But, as for 1.8, I tried to download it but I got 7.2 for some reason. I went to the Announce thread this time and got the right one now, so I'll set it up to be a test system. Given that AFAICT the D-604's implementation of UPNP Nat is buggy, I don't know if I should bother trying 1.8 with UPNP on either, so I will run a test with it off first to make sure it's not a known D-604 bug.

Oh, and I'll look into replacing the D-604 if possible, though it has to run a custom firmware of some kind so I'm not sure this is possible.

Thanks again!

While many routers mis-implement UPnP, I would like to keep uTorrent from crashing when dealing with them. So, please do run 1.8 (9363 at least) and let me know how it goes :)

Archived