Is it ok to up the upload speed?

stepson

I am downloading two files and seeding one file, the question I have is: Is it ok to bump my upload speed on the file I am seeding, since I allready have the whole file? I am setting my upload speed to 2 mbs and the upload speed on the seed file to where it runs at about 85 kbps. The other two files I am still downloading I have limmited their upload to 10 kpbs. Is this OK? I don't want to mess up anyones download, but I have a 7mbps connection and am barely using any of it.

Yes, the ones I am still downloading are downloading slower, but they were slow to begin with. I would like to get the other people who are downloading the file I am seeding taken care of so they don't need me anymore, but was not sure if it may cause errors in their download or not.

Nope. No errors. Just pumps out more data to that torrent which has a higher upload cap on it :) You know you don't NEED to cap the upload on the one you want to seed. With a global upload rate, you can limit the speed on your downloads, and let WHATEVER remaining speed you have for the seed :D

What kind of speedtest do you get? That 7Mbit upload sounds like a huge fios pipe.

It's not a 7mb upload its a 7 mb download speed which means I can only upload at something like 787 kb/s. I never did a speed test. I guess I should. uTorrent caps my total upload speed at 72 kb/s, I don't know why, it's only a tenth of my actual upload speed. So by setting my upload speed at 2mb/s I get a bit more upload speed out of it which I share withe the file I am seeding. I have a fiber optics connection at 7mb/s download.

"Be advised though it is RARE to get > 4:1 return on upload"

it is? I have my upload capped at 50kb/s so that I can upload, download, and browse the net without slow downs -- while downloading in excess of 1-2MB/s, I can easily achieve ratio's of 1:0.030 or even 1:0.007 on files ranging from 200MB and above.

Speedtest results are in Kbits/sec. uT uses KiBytes/sec.

If you do a speedtest, reset the speed guide (Ctrl-G) values to your UPLOAD i.e. xx/768. You do not have 2Mbit upload. This may be causing the slowdown. In that event 72 split 5 ways, sure you can reduce the upload on your download to that ;)

Uhm, yeah, normally the 1 is on the right side... mental math at this hour, that's uhm... about 33:1 and 160:1 rates.... as you ramp up the upload the download increases. I also said peers... Seeds will usually give you all they have when you get a slot, hence the usefulness of popping on a mainly swede or japanese swarm. <rant>Stingy lazy US ISPs choose to keep ftth. Weel all that dead land too, they're pretty good as far as the main 20-25 cities in the US.

Plus a couple of my downloads did not have any seeds to start with at all, so that slows things down, but now ther are getting to be some seeds, and things are picking up. I reset the upload to 768kb/s which slows down the upload for the file I am seeding (I am the only seed) but it speeds up my downloads. I am a complete newbie at this so excuse me if I do not use the proper terms, I hope you understand what I'm saying.

You probably only have at most 1 megabit/sec upload bandwidth. Chances are, you can't break 120 KB/sec upload speed in uTorrent even when only seeding. You can test by seeding only on torrents with at least 10 connected peers to you and raising upload speed little-by-little till it goes 'ragged and bursty'. A little below that bursty amount is probably your real sustainable max.

While with many popular torrents, you can probably max your download speed out...for less popular stuff with few if any seeds but still a reasonable number of peers, your download WON'T be 4x your upload except briefly.

Any time you download faster than you upload, someone else isn't. If you're downloading a lot faster than your upload, possibly a LOT of people aren't on the same torrent. Admittedly, they may be seeding, but not everyone seeds even 1:1.

Switeck: You're right, I tried experimenting and can hold it pretty steady at about 80 kb/s. Not great, but the best I can do. I don't expect a fast download, especially on unpopular or new torrents. Mainly I was trying to find a way to speed up my upload so as to get more people with full downloads so they could seed too. But after reading the faq's and info in the manual I come to understand that it is best to keep my upload at my max sustainable speed. I read about superseeding in the faq's only if I am the only seed, but sounds like something I don't want to try till I know what I'm doing.

I always leave the torrent in seeding till the time runs out, which comes out to be 1:1.5 ratio, sometimes it takes all day when the torrent is very large, but so be it. I hate it when I see others cut and run and would not be that rude. I hope a 1:1.5 ratio is acceptable. If not let me know.

Thanks to you all for answering a newbie question, and I should have looked it all up myself I know.

Even 1:1 ratio is ok, especially if there's lots of other seeds. You still gave back what you got.

Seeding a day or 2 later when the torrent has fewer seeds can also be more helpful in the long run, if you need to stop 1 torrent in order to get another to complete quicker.

Archived