Speed Troubles

cruton2006

Howdy.

I am not using a router, I have done a port check and te port, which is in the 40000s, is clear. My network is OK.

I have read through the FAQ and through this forum, fiddling with all the possible settings, I have altered everything between very high (ie 2000 global connections), medium (300 globals) and low (100 globals).

My overal download speed is still only 25-50k, which is a problem because I have a cable modem and when using BitLord was downloading an order of magnitude faster.

These are my current settings:

Max up/down: 500kb/s

Global connections: 200

Peers/torrent: 50

Slots/torrent: 4

Active torrents: 100

Active downloads: 10

I turned net.low_cpu to false and bt.conncet_speed to 100.

My dl speed still sucks, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

These settings work best for me. I'm on 5mb down/384k up. I'm usually in Top 4 DL speeds (per Peer DL column)

Torrent Options:

1) Global max connections -300

2) Max number connected peers per torrent -25 (Some recommend an unlimited number, but what I've read is that....say you have 22 connections going, it wastes your bandwidth to continually search for more & more connections. I've tried up to 50 connections and it reduced my speed. Less is more...if you have 25 solid connections with the smaller speeds dropping off and adding faster ones...its good.

The more % of a file you acquire the more likely others will be to let you into their Torrent stream.

Adjust upload speed to an ideal rate for your connection. 50-80% usually. I also reduced my upload slots to 3 per Torrent instead of default 4 to give each person more speed per connection. I do 24-28k UL.

My overal download speed is still only 25-50k, which is a problem because I have a cable modem and when using BitLord was downloading an order of magnitude faster.

Do you get that download speed if you're only running 1 torrent at a time?

Are you actually uploading as fast as you set µTorrent to?

My overal download speed is still only 25-50k' date=' which is a problem because I have a cable modem and when using BitLord was downloading an order of magnitude faster.[/quote']

Do you get that download speed if you're only running 1 torrent at a time?

No and No.

If I download only one torrent the dl speed drops to 2-5k.

I am not uploading as fast as I set the settings to, I don't know why.

When I used BitLord both my uploads and downloads were fast.

If I download only one torrent the dl speed drops to 2-5k.

I am not uploading as fast as I set the settings to' date=' I don't know why.

When I used BitLord both my uploads and downloads were fast.[/quote']

Ok, so do you know if your ISP is crippling BitTorrent? If so, there may not be much you can do other than go back to BitLord or BitComet...or change ISPs.

If µTorrent cannot upload as fast as you set it to, try lowering the upload settings to the point where it matches them.

Lower BOTH the upload speed and upload slots. Better fewer and faster uploads because who you're uploading to will have more reason to upload back to you in return.

Archived