Downloads "Check" each time I restart uTorrent

raymondc

Hi. A few days ago the electric went out 3 times (while my PC was running) and uTorrent was running. Now each time I start the program, it checks each torrent I have in queue. For the larger files (8 to 25 GB) this takes a very long time. I'm guessing the incorrect way the PC was "shut down" had something to do with this. Is there a way I can change it to the way it was in the "good old days" and have it start to download the files when I start uTorrent? Thanks in advance for the advice.

If you only had constant re-checks after the power outage, and had the same amount of torrents before and after, and let µT check completely, then perhaps something is bogging down your computer? A work around would be to enable bt.graceful_shutdown in preferences > advanced, this will make µT wait till it's ready to close. If this doesn't work, it's a sign of a bigger problem.

Before trying that though, I recommend Start > RUN > chkdsk C: /f to check your drive for problems. If the drive is in use, it'll ask you if you want to schedule it, press yes and reboot to begin the drive check (and if you live in an area prone to power problems, consider investing in a UPS, I woke up today to mine giving the "power outage" warning beeps, computer was running fine, no need to recheck data).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I had the same problem too. I don't run my laptop non-stop, each time I restart my laptop and run U-torrent, many-a-time it will do the "Check", for the extra big file download (>10GB), it will take many hours doing the checking and only upon check completion, will it start to download the files.

Is there a specific procedure or Program Setting to shut down the running U-torrent program so that the next time it's being power up and run U-torrent, it will not do the "Check" again?

Your only recourse if for some reason uT is not closing completely before being killed is to ENABLE Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> bt.graceful_shutdown

That option tells uT to not allow windows to close it after the default close time (10 seconds)...it will stay open until it finishes all pending tasks. If you find you still have problems when closing, stop all torrents prior to closing. You can then start it up again, and copy-paste the logfiles from Ultima's sticky. That's likely a sign of http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software being installed alongside uT.

Archived