Static IP from ISP=no port forward?

wmosconie

I have been working on this problem for DAYS!!!

I have a Linksys WRT54GS but I don't think that's the problem.

About two months ago I was downloading just fine... but then... I signed up for a static IP from my ISP. The reason I did this was so I could continue to log into a secure server outside my network. My network consists of a Zhone DSL modem, Linksys router and four PC's including one Toshiba laptop which I am using now.

I followed the instructions from PortForward.com and now have a static IP for my laptop. I double and triple checked the proceedure and everything is to the T. It SHOULD be working.

Somehow I think the static IP for the modem from my ISP is interfering with my ability to download. The reason I think this is I haven't been able to achive a forwarded port since I got the IP from them. When I talked to my ISP on the phone to set up the router... they made me use PPPoE to allow for the newly assigned static IP for the modem.

Can someone tell me if this assigned static IP from my ISP is the problem? If so, is there a fix?

Might be a double-NAT (Google). (Note to self: Amend guide to talk about double-NAT). If you have trouble with the guide (I.E. not knowledgeable about your modem), can you give me modem make and model, your network setup (just modem > router > computers?), and where you entered your PPPoE information.

Thanks GTHK for the fast reply. I will read the guide yousent me and let you know if it worked. For now I'll give you the info you requested.

Zhone modem model #6381-A3-200-0AC

under that it reads...

ADSL2+/R CPE BRID/ROUT W

and at the bottom it reads...

REV:E1

The DSL comes in the phone line and into the modem, from there it goes to my router which sends the signal to 4 wireless PC's including this one I'm on. As far as I know, the only PPPoE info was entered into the set-up of the router. I don't know how to get into the modem. I'll read your guide and let you know if it helped. I'll report again later today.

First, there are services that give you a host name for a dynamic IP, and my Linksys even let me put the details into it instead of using an address tracker program.

Anyway, the website for that modem, is very obscure. If I have the right guide, it looks like the modem is also a router, and is thus most likely interfering. If you put your login in the Linksys you're halfway done, the next step is to set the modem to bridge mode. The simplest way would be to connect directly to the modem and tweak it at the default address. In the WAN settings area, you can set the connection type to bridge.

If the modems placement is a problem, just unplug it and bring it to your computer, you can change the settings without Internet access and then put it back, hopefully the settings are kept in place by NVRAM or something.

Okay, I tried to tie into the modem directly and was unsucessful. I don't know why but I was unable to go online even though my computer said it was connected. STRANGE.

Anyhow, I have some new info. I learned the modem is NOT a router as well. I'm pretty sure a router distributes the signal to multiple devices. This modem does not. It only has a phone line going in and an ethernet line coming out (which is what I unpluged from the router and into my laptop).

Since the modem is not a router then there should not be any need for bridging... right? Well, from what I understand anyway.

So does that mean there is a double NAT problem? I have yet to learn about that.

Sorry it took so long to get back. I'm the Director of a facility in Alaska and I just got busy. :cool:

Archived