Repeated Hashfails

Ramalama1

I am trying to download a rather difficult job - there are only about 2 true copies out there, I think. One copy, lets call them 89.x.x.x keeps failing piece number 359

Another copy, 82.x.x.x that I managed to discover by enabing DHT failed the same piece, and this IP was completely different.

Is it possible that while both seeds have 100% each that they both have a bad piece? Not sure how uTorrent reassembles pieces and am wondering should I just give up or keep plugging away. Each time 89. etc gets banned, I reset the bans and get a bit more from the pieces that are good but this is really tiresome.

Am I wrong to assume I would get one piece from one source and another piece from another?

Turns out, like in the case of most torrents, that patience is the key - something I frequently counsel LOL. After letting the banned peer stay banned for the hashfails, nothing happened for a long time and then out of the blue two new peers popped up and they happened to have the piece that was causing the problem. I don't think this was an intentional poisoning, but rather because it was a very old torrent from last November I think most of the original downloaders had moved or alterered or renamed files over the course of time and no longer seeded it. Initially it had hundreds of downloads. Since it was such a rarity I wanted to make sure I kept it alive but getting a full copy and seeding it. I finally got piece number 359! It was around 68% when I posted, now I am all the way to 70.5 - whoot! But were there intentional poisoners, how would one be able to tell?

Do research on the IPs using a whois utility ;) That will point out the intentional ones. But if it was a seeder who had (un)luckily re-tagged or whatnot... that's what the auto-ban is for. You can always right click, advanced, reset bans. Also The default I think now is 5/128 is a ban, you can always increase it in the event the peer sends good data, it'll just take longer for it to be auto-banned in that event.

Left the system running and went to bed - download finished. Once I had found another peer, I managed to get the bad piece, and resetting bans allowed uT to pick up the banned fellow and get more pieces from that source. I did check the IP address of the hashfail - whois says an ISP in Saudia Arabia. Guess they cannot get good tunes by any other means :lol:

Archived