Limited Download vs Unlimited Upload Question

fan13027

Semi-clueless noob here, so please be gentle .... using uTorrent 1.7.7

I am mostly downloading large (700-800 meg) movie files and I am pleased with my overall speeds. With an adequate number of seeds and peers connected and Unlimted Download I can consistently achieve speeds of 150-250 kBs (occassionally as high as 300-400) and with Unlimited Upload I can consistently achieve speeds of 50-60kBs (occassionally 70-80).

However, running like this results in me finishing a dowload in 1-2 hours and having to upload for another 4-8 hours to reach my target upload/download ratio of 1.2/1.0.

So I'm thinking, if I have to leave the torrent running for 6 hours anyway, why not just download slower and allow the download to run for the same (approximate) time as my upload.

I set my Download Limit to 50kBs and leave my upload as Unlimited aiming for the target ratio of 1.2 over the entire duration of my connection. BUT even with upload set to Unlimited, as soon as I limit my download speed the upload speed drops as well. If I limit my download speed to 50kBs, my upload speed drops from 60kBs and will run slower than my download varying anywhere from 10-40kBs.

Is there something I can do about this, or is there something I am overlooking? I have tried all sorts of combinations varying the total number of peer connections allowed and varying the total number of upload slots allowed, but nothing seems to help.

LOL, I knew I would receive answers like yours! And of course you're absolutely right as far as up/down ratios are concerned, but nonetheless my question remains ... is there some way to achieve my goal as stated in my original post?

As to what it is that I am trying to achieve ....

Think the story of the "tortoise and the hare", I am trying to be the tortoise. Also think load balancing, why use my maximum download bandwith on the torrent when I could use the bandwith elsewhere, after all I'm going to be connected for 6-8 hours anyway -- I could be using that download bandwith for other things during that time. To be fair, mostly I'm just "tinkering", but the question still remains.

Thank you Sir Knight! Your suggestion to set seeding tasks priority higher than downloading seems to have done the trick. I had seen that option earlier, but did not consider that it would apply in my example because I didn't think I was "technically" classed as "seeding" when uploading until I actually had 100% of the file available.

Archived