Wierd downloading problem

Kazuaki Shimazaki

I downloaded uTorrent when that last rash of betas came out around November and now I'm on v1.3. I was very pleased to finally find a client that will leave nearly all my computer's maneuverability intact. The only problem is that I get this feeling that BitComet and Azuereus (the two biggies AFAIK) don't like uTorrent very much. But that's OK - as long as it downloads in the end, I prefer leaving my computer's maneuverability intact. Sometimes I "prime" a uTorrent with BitComet/Azuereus to about 10% of total mass, then downloading with uTorrent for the rest.

The problem is, I've never tried downloading huge torrents that I'm forced to split. I start downloading files 1-10 (of about 50). When they are done, I transferred 1-8 to a DVD, leaving 9 and 10 to use as contribution. Because torrents in general are very reliable for me, I transferred them without bothering with hash rechecks.

File 1 was fine, but I then realized that Files 2-8 are missing parts, so I'm forced to send them back down to HDD.

Basically, nothing has worked well since for that torrent and several others of similar nature. I turned off Sparse Files and Compact Allocation as time went on in a desperate attempt to solve the problem (I like those features because disk space is at a premium on my computer). I tried it with PartFiles on and off, finally leaving it off.

But I keep getting corrupted files. When they are complete backed by hash check, ostensibly finished files (say File 20 when I'm downloading Files 17-20) don't show up. If I have PartFile on, I see a PartFile roughly the same size as File 20. If I have partfile off, I see the filename of File 1 reappear in the folder, with a File size roughly equal to File 20.

Since it was approaching a time when I don't need the computer anyway. I decided to set up the Torrent on BitComet (I prefer not to do this when I'm using the computer to maintain maneuverability). BitComet runs torrent fine and in the morning I transfer some of the stuff it finishes to DVD.

Then I put the chunk back into uTorrent. uTorrent seems to read the files partially downloaded by BitComet just fine, so I told it to go. I soon realized that a file with the filename of my File 1 is apparently acting as a bilge bay. The files I'm downloading are not showing up as separate files even when they are finished. Without deleting the File 1 bilge, I go to BitComet. It does not recognize the progress in DL made by uTorrent, and considering that I don't even see the names of the files I'm downloading in the download directory (only the bilge which I figure might just have my file if I can ever get it out), I can sympathize. I deleted the bilge (no apparent point to keeping it) and told BitComet to continue.

Does anybody know what is happening and what I can do?

I don't want to use BitComet. I'm not being really altruistic about its cheating or whatever here. It is just that my computer gets sluggish with BitComet downloading torrents. Azureus turns my computer into a single-tasker, period.

Thank you in advance.

Try the latest beta. And turn off sparse files.

You may have to restart the torrent completely though. The only thing I can think of is to skip ALL the files, then unskip them all (in the beta)

And well, you should download the entire torrent with µTorrent. If you have the right settings you shouldn't have any speed problems. ;P

The latest latest beta should fix any weird partfile problems, though it may not be possible to recover old torrents that were screwed up.

The only thing you can try is upgrade, then stop the torrent, skip all the files, and unskip them to see if it helps. :/

I am relieved to hear this, since it was happening with me since quite some time, files not appearing, files not complete even though uTorrent says they are. I too had to open the torrent up in Bitcomet to complete the ramaining parts of the rars. I turned off part file usage and yet I get a huge part file equal to data I have downloaded and no rars at all. I think there is some problem with uTorrent...

OK, got the beta. I transferred everything BitComet did (up to File 27) to the DVDs, so the folder is clean. I then went into uTorrent, deleted its internal record of the torrent, and re-opened said torrent as a new torrent. I then selected Files 28-30. PartFile on, CompactAllocation and SparseFiles off. I hope it works this time. If it works, I'd like to turn CompactAllocation and SparseFiles back on.

Using both compact and sparse files is kind of stupid, but whatever.

Compact allocation SHOULD work now with partfile, but you shouldn't use it in combination with the partfile. It's better to turn off compact and use sparse files if you need the space saving features.

Archived