uTorrent chop off my internet

aeonfulx

I been using uTorrent for sometime and it work fine until recently I got some problem with it. Most of the time if I start my uTorrent after awhile when the file is downloading my internet will stopped working. uTorrent is still working fine and download is still going on but my internet browser and windows live messenger stopped. I can't surf any webpage...

I'm using Linksys WCG200 and Kaspersky Internet Security. I'm pretty sure I have well configured my modem/firewall and uTorrent. But not really sure what is causing this annoying problem. To fix it all I have to do is exit uTorrent and refresh the browser but if I run uTorrent again it will happen again.

It happen from the 1.7.7 version (previously 1.7.7 was working fine) and I give a try on the beta version which seems pretty good but it came back again. Well.. tried uninstalling and installing. This nightmare still happen.. I wonder any kind soul will help me in this problem?

I have the same problem, when I start uTorrent my surfing speed slows a lot, if i close uTorrent the speed is ok again. I tried Azureus and it's all ok, torrents are downloading and surfing speed is ok. But I like uTorrent a lot!! I don't want to use Azureus, but I'll have to if you don't help me!!! Thank You!

You will need to update your firmware because the original Linksys firmware have a problem when handling multiple connections (I believe the default is at 512 and once it hits that there is no more room for your surf connections).

By updating your firmware you can change the limit to 4096 and timeout all inactive connections in less than 1 hour (which again I believe it's default)

Go read the FAQ.

Also switch in uTorrent half_open to 4 (from 8)

I read it but I haven't try any because lately there hasn't been any problem with it. By the way I cannot update my firmware on my Linksys WCG200 as this model doesn't have any firmware to update. (Damn linksys...) I believe it's like what you said about the connection thingy...

I will try switching uTorrent half_open to 4 (from 8). What does that option does? XD

The half open limit is how many ips uTorrent's trying to hammer at once for its outgoing connections. You could have it set to 1...and still connect to 100's of peers and seeds...it just might take a minute longer. If you've got the green light in uTorrent, then having a high half open limit isn't as necessary because other peers and seeds can connect to you without you trying their ip first.

I used to have this problem also, and it just recently got resolved after following Ultima's troubleshooting guide. What did it for me was lowering the maximum global number of connections (I set mine to 50), as well as setting the max connected peers to 20 for good measure. Download speeds in uTorrent remain good even after making those changes and I can now surf the Internet without any problems. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Archived