Server 2008, uTorrent not responding

ShamblerDK

Hi there

My uTorrent kept locking up in Server 2008, and I had problems shutting down the uTorrent.exe process with Task Manager. I found a simple solution for this problem.

1: Right-click the uTorrent shortcut and select "Properties".

2: Go to the "Compatibility" tab.

3: Enable the "Disable visual themes" option and click "OK".

Now your uTorrent can run without problems.

The problem is with the Vista Aero theme on Server 2008 and uTorrent.

If any of you programmers need some more information or any other help, let me know.

Regards,

ShamblerDK

I do not run any other program that handle themes.

I think the problem is, that Server 2008 is not meant to run with the Vista Aero theme. I use a "hacked" version of it, in order to make it run on Server 2008.

The reason I use the Vista Aero theme for Server 2008 is that it enables me to use a part of the Vista Dreamscene package.

I had a same problem with Vista Home Premium edition that when I exit and also taken out the Check Mark box " Do you really want to exit Utorrent?" My Utorrent program is hang up badly the screen image is always on the desktop. and I could not kill it task manager, nor anther kill process program. I had to turn off and turn back on again. This is really annoying when you surf the web. I had to put the check mark back under UI settings - "show confirmation dialog on exit" in preferences.

I don't think version 3.6, ect. does this even I took out the check mark box " Do you really want to exit Utorrent?" and it still running perfectly.

Hope you're looking into this bug. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the workaround Shambler! I had the same issue with uTorrent not responding on server 2008 64 bit. Sometimes it would resume function while other times it would just hang. It usually happened when restoring from the system tray. Also this happened to me over Remote Desktop (Yes I have aero enabled over remote desktop - I value aesthetics like that :) I never tested it on the console.

This happened very rarely in version 1.7, but in version 1.8 it's extremely aggravated. I'm not sure if it was 1.8 or some update from microsoft that caused it.

Truly the weirdest bug I've ever seen.

• 1 month later...

Archived