Announcing a torrent without trackers. DHT ...

lynx

uTorrent can even create torrents with NO tracker (mainline thing). WOWIE again.

Buttttttt, it seems like if i send someone a torrent and he accepts (ofcourse in uTorrent) it takes a long time before the actual tranfer begins.

I noticed that in the tracker dialog on my side (seeding) at DHT status uTorrent often says "Announce in 20 minutes".

If i right click the torrent and select "Update Tracker" The DHT status says "Announcing..." .

So it seems like when i select "Update Tracker" the transfer immediatly starts !

I understand that when adding a tracker to the trackerlist, it is NOT wishfull to continiously announce to the tracker.

But when a torrent has NO trackers, so just uses DHT, perhaps it is better if the torrent is continiously announced.

Maybe i get it wrong, or maybe i have a point here, to make uTorrent even better/greater/best than it already is.

greetingzzz,

lynx

DHT has a limit on how often you can announce too, for practical reasons (bandwidth, load, etc)

Alright, then fill me in, does DHT announce to somekind of server ?

I tried to find out about DHT (wikipedia thx Firon) but there i see that ip numbers of people owning the torrent are stored in that torrent, why then announce ? to what ?

lynx

Some modems and routers are useless pieces of crap and can't handle UDP packets very well, so DHT (and eMule and probably various other things) will cause them to hang/freeze/act weirdly.

Announcing too often to the DHT network would waste bandwidth, yes, much like announcing too often to a tracker.

Archived