hashfalls what about em

pink_floyd_462006

Wasted occurs when 2 peers/seeds send you the same piece. This typically happens when you've almost finished a torrent and have >95% complete where you have lots of seeds+peers connected -- the last few pieces are requested from all of them so even if some of them fail you'll still complete the download in a timely manner. A wasted amount of 1-5% is really not a bad thing, almost working as designed. Any greater than that may be the result of bad settings in uTorrent, such as allowing way too many connections at once for a "slower" broadband connection (<200 KiloBYTES/second total download speed).

Hashfails occur when a piece you received doesn't match the "fingerprint" encryption code for that section. There is only 1 code per every piece of a torrent...typically pieces are 256 KB, 512 KB, 1024 KB, 2048 KB, or 4096 KB in size. Hashfails are caused by a bad connection on your end, the sender's end, or something in-between, by hostile ips that INTENTIONALLY send bad data (ips in 38.x.x.x are notorious for this, as they are dedicated companies to poisoning torrent swarms), or lastly by bad hardware on your end...typically ram or hard drive failing.

Hostile ips can be blocked by adding their ip range to ipfilter.dat (a blocklist that uTorrent uses...you may have to create the file in notepad/wordpad). Persistent hostiles will (slowly!) get automatically banned by uTorrent for sending bad data to you over and over again, but it is much more effective to just ban them using ipfilter.dat. Do note that a too-large ipfilter.dat may ban otherwise perfectly fine seeds/peers that just happen to use an ip in the blocked range...thus slowing your speeds and possibly preventing them from completing the torrent.

Hiya,

ok I love looking around forums. but ah I've only been d/l for a couple of months. and i'm pretty good handling pc stuff, not a pro but a great user. any way i've looked around and I don't see any function that I could use to determine and ip's behavior. any suggestions or links I could use?

P.S. besides the ip's displayed are from peers. don't I want to see seeders ip behavior?

Also note how much total data volume they've sent you. These hostile poisoner ips tend to only give one 16 KB chunk...as they have no desire to help the torrent swarm in any way. Saves them bandwidth too, so even just 100 of them can poison 1000's of torrents each containing 100's of peers all at once.

There are online WHOIS tools that can link ip addresses with regions of the world and even ISPs and businesses. Usually, the hostile poisoner ips don't map out to ISPs...but rather weird corporation names or nothing at all! It's my guess that many of them use shell corporations to hide their real name.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived