Killing Internet

e90

Hey all, jsut signed up (only just installed uTorrent as well).

Just read through forums but could only find one relevant thread but it wasnt that similar so here we go...

Fresh install of :

Win 2k3 Server

Symantec Corporate Anti Virus 903

As soon as i load uTorrent it kills the internet connection to the house (all terminals connected to the router), wierd thing is uTorrent seems happy to continue at its speeds. This is still the case when all torrents are stopped (0Kbps both ways). When i close uTorrent (after a minute when connections have died) then internet picks up again fine.

Used Az for two years (with high numbers of connections and slots due to 700mb of ram and the machiens only job was BT) and never had a similar problem, my speeds are capped well within the limits of the line.

Extra info

Netgear DG824M

Intel pIII 700

700mb Ram

1mbit down - 1/4 up

DHT is off

Only just installed win2k3srv, was using 2kproSP4 with Az so could be that but doubt it.

I havent done any of the 10 port half opening crack thingy as i dont know if thats applicable but cant see it affecting this case.

Any help is appreciated as its just sat there looking miserable at the moment lol.

Thanks

e90

No nothing that should matter.

I altered where it picks up torrent files, where it dumps data, preallocating disk space, speed & schedules etc.

But i haven't changed anything related to 'global number of connections' 'max connections per torrent' 'slots per torent' or things in the queue.

Thats what i mean, theres nothing that windows / netgear / uTorrent shouldnt be able to cope with.

Next thing is to start installing/running older versions of uTorrent and playing with settings and looking at results i suppose ?

Another thought....

When the internet clogs up i close uTorrent and run cPorts.exe and outpost firewall (installed after all the problems started before any1 blames outpost) and i see the number of ports open, about 20-30 around the 2350 range.

I have UPnP turned off on my firewall, and off in uTorrent, but wouldnt UPnP explain the excess number of automatic bound ports and the clogging of the router ?

Just wondered if there was anyway even though it was turned off it would still be doing something similar.

Any thoughts ?

When the internet clogs up i close uTorrent and run cPorts.exe and outpost firewall (installed after all the problems started before any1 blames outpost) and i see the number of ports open, about 20-30 around the 2350 range.

I have UPnP turned off on my firewall, and off in uTorrent, but wouldnt UPnP explain the excess number of automatic bound ports and the clogging of the router ?

Those ports being open is just a leftover of running µTorrent, not UPnP activity. Many routers incorrectly leave ports open and continue routing incoming packets on those ports to a computer which previously (as much as 15 minutes earlier) used those ports. It's not fixed port-forwarding rules doing that, it's just how NAT works.

What sort of download/upload speeds are you seeing in µTorrent? It could be too close the the useable max speed for your connection. Speeds ISPs rate connections at are often unattainable, especially during peak useage hours.

No the speeds are fine.

2mbit down, 1/4 up and im limiting to 50kbps down and 15kbps up, line should take double that (az would a while ago but didnt recently... presumed it was that annoyind update they did about 6 months back).

Edit, forgot free upgrade, its a 2mbit down line

Edit 2, Could you explain a bit please as to why the router has the ports open in the first place ? The only port i tell uTorrent to use is the same as the port i have open on the router (inbound TCP).... so why are other ports open ? I understand taht other clients may keep trying me for a while after, but not why they should be trying that port in the first place.

Just tryint to get my head round stuff and learn, thanks :)

It only opens one incoming port, but outgoing connections use a random port assigned by the OS/router. (it's a TCP/UDP thing, not specific to any client)

I can only suggest to turn off UPnP in the router and forward it manually. It helps a lot of D-Link users, so who knows, it might help you.

Its a netgear.... theyre almost all firewall/router/modems in one but fair enough i didnt say it.

Anyways... im afraid i have had to go back to Az for now simply because too much down time. I will keep trying uTorrent from time to time because i do really like it and hope one day soon i will be able to use it :)

Anyways, thanks for help guys it really is appreciated even if didnt go anywhere.

Just for the record...

Your not very cheerful for a mod :-/ lol

Ive been a mod for a while. I have been in forums for a lot longer, i would use wit, sarcasm, a thread lock and a joke, but wouldnt be that sharp regardless, mods are there to moderate, keep conversation going where it needs it and keep morale up.

But anyways.... on more of a cheerful note, my torrents are working lol.

• 2 months later...

Archived