Preferences->Upload slots per torrents

cool9

My upload connections exceed this number in Preferences. I've had UL slots set to 4-5 (using Speed Guide for DSL) but I can get upload connections over 25-30 easy. What's the purpose of this parameter if it doesn't work right? Using XP SP2.

Each peer or seed you connect to is 1 connection. You only upload to peers, and then typically only some of them at once. The "U" flag is next to the ones you're trying to upload to at a given moment...sometimes even they sit idle due to not replying fast enough.

Just because you're CONNECTED to a Peer or Seed doesn't mean you're uploading or downloading to/from them at any given moment. Only while uploading to a Peer is that connection considered an upload slot.

So you may be connected to 10 peers on a torrent but only uploading to 3 or 4 of them since upload slots per torrent is set to 4 by default.

Which peer you're uploading to may slowly change based on whether they're uploading back to you...those that upload more to you get rewarded with more of your upload in return.

Archived