Dynamic seed ratio

zork

I generally set my seed ratio to 150%. Once all torrents are at 150%, whichever torrents reached this level last keep uploading, while the rest stay at 150%. To seed all files more evenly, I find myself having to manually adjust the seed ratio to 200% when all have reached 150%, then 250% after that, etc.

It would be nice if there was a setting that allowed some sort of automation to this process. So when all torrents have reached your required seed ratio, the seed ratio is upped by 10% (or something). When all have reached that level, the ratio is automatically upped again, etc.

I hope I am not the only one that would find this useful; I would love to see this implemented.

Other than that, I'm grateful for the best torrent client, and for your organization not turning into a commercial piece of junk like Azureus did.

Thanks.

You can tell whether it still has priority by the "#" column. Once the task is seeding, its number in the queue disappears and is replaced with * until the Seeding goals have been reached. As long as there are torrent jobs which have yet to reach the goals, they have priority and will supercede any queue rotation. After that however, it's round-robin. In truth they will continue to seed UNTIL you stop them, unless you have the "limit upload to..." ticked and put in "0" to denote "STOP JOB WHEN SATISFIED GOALS ARE MET". If you never want this to happen you can set the ratio in the torrent job to -1, but that makes the ETA column useless since there is no longer any calculation to be done as to when you're likely to hit your expected ratio.

I understand how it works. Thanks. My concern regards the list management behavior after ratio goals have been met. Whichever torrents had been seeding last (at the time all torrents met thier goals) seem to just continue to seed into infinity without any rotation of the list. I would like to see some rotation of the list after all ratios have been met. My point is about automation for convenience while software is unattended.

I usually set the program to have 6 torrents active. Lets say I have 30 torrents on the list and none are stopped or paused. Instead of waking up to find 6 torrents with ratios of e.g. 7.487, and the remaining 24 torrents with a ratio of 1.500, I would like so see a more even spread of my upload bandwidth across the list without needing to manually adjust settings while I am away. This is particularly pronounced when uTorrent is unattended for days or weeks.

Did I explain it properly?

My example of a change in code to further explain what I mean:

Ignoring stopped, paused, and downloading torrents, on the condition that all remaining torrent ratios are equal or greater to the user setting, the user ratio is automatically increased by 25%.

List continues to rotate torrents in the active list until all torrent ratios are once again met, at which point the ratios are increased by 25% again.

Behavior continues in this fashion.

Obviously it would make more sense to not change the actual user setting, but a temporary one used for this purpose.

Once this is worked out I would love to download it and see it in action in a beta release, especially since I am going on a two week vacation soon. :P

It would also be nice to refine the code so as to take into consideration that for convenience's sake a person may have 6 active slots, 1 downloading torrent, 1 torrent which still has NOT met the seed ratio, and 18 torrents whose ratios HAVE been met. In such a case one would certainly want 2 active slots reserved for the downloading torrent and the under-seeded torrent, while allowing the 18 fully seeded torrents rotate the use of the 4 remaining active slots. It might also be helpful to add slots to the active list when the torrents in it aren't able to upload at 5kB+ or something. Some of this may already be the code's current behavior anyway, even with my addition.

If this still does not make sense, please ask me to clarify certain points. I really think this idea would be a nice addition to the code and would not require uTorrent's footprint to increase in any significant amount. I love this project because it has managed to pack a lot of great features into a tiny footprint. I hope mine is considered.

Thanks.

I didn't realize it was supposed to work like that. What are the rules regarding rotation of queued seeds? I have left the state for weeks before, to return and find that the active torrents were over 30:1 seed ratio and the remaining Queued Seeds were stuck at the user seed ratios. Maybe I changed a setting that interfered with this rotation. My seeding time is always (Ignore) and I rarely ever stop or pause a torrent.

"After that, seeding is either on a percentage or timed rotation." Which is it? Is that a guess or is there some elusive documentation that explains how this is supposed to work? What might deactivate this rotation?

Archived