Error: The semaphore timeout period has expired??

dfarns

Just installed 1.8 but am getting this "the semaphore timeout period has expired" error message and the download stops. With v 1.77 I was also getting a strange message that referred my hard drive and also stopped the download.

I'm getting this error message on more than one download, so it's not the file itself...has to be something between utorrent and my computer. Can someone help me out with this.

dan

I do have a second (older) hard drive I can try to save to. But this new hard drive has been tested over and over and over with many different software, including that from the manufacturer...and it has always passed. I'll try saving to the other hard drive anyway, but I recently replaced the motherboard and have had goofy hard drive problems so I'm looking for a program that will really test the controller.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 month later...

The same thing happened to me on my laptop. Maybe it could be a hard drive failure or something, but I think that is highly unlikely most of the time. For me, I fixed it by changing the file locations that the uTorrent copy on my laptop was using to download and move torrents to, from my network server to the local hard drive on my laptop. Worked like a charm. As long as the laptop in on the network, I can just move the files from the laptop to my server any time.

Here's what the solution was...turns out the problem was caused by a program I had installed, I think it was called Intel Application Accelerator. After I removed it this problem disappeared, as well as another problem that involved my losing the ability to install large programs...opening the .cab files would fail towards the end of the process. Both these problems caused by this one program: I couldn't use uTorrent and I couldn't install most programs. Hallelujah!

Archived