Port forwarding, speed dramatically drops.

MaxKohler

Well even if my upload was being limited to 60 that shouldn't be affecting me at all since that's way past any requirement for download speed right?

I changed my router firmware, but then I couldn't connect to the internet because as far as I know this router requires set up with "Linksys Easylink Advisor" and that software couldn't detect the router with the different firmware. GTHK you would know about this right?

So I switched my firmware back and tried the open office torrent again and it gradually rose the whole time up to 1.4mB/s (little over a third of my download limit, but highest so far) without even opening a port (I just forgot to do that first). Tested it and it said the port was not open, and the triangle at the bottom was orange exclamation mark saying "no incomming connections". Yet the torrent downloaded...........

This is getting really frustrating... I stayed up all night trying to fix this crap :|

Is this a regular download: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I'm downloading it right now at 1 to 1.4mB/s where before it was downloading at 160 to 230kB/s.

Should I call Cox and ask them if they're limiting my speeds? Wouldn't they be required to tell me the truth?

Well even if my upload was being limited to 60 that shouldn't be affecting me at all since that's way past any requirement for download speed right?

Should I call Cox and ask them if they're limiting my speeds? Wouldn't they be required to tell me the truth?

Cox SHOULD tell you the truth, but they probably won't.

If Cox is limiting BitTorrent upload to ~60 KiloBYTES/second, (or 512 kilobits/second bandwidth total) then that could mean any time uTorrent is trying to upload faster than that...download speed might be crippled-slow. Cox grabs random upload packets and destroys them to force the total speed down. If those upload packets happen to be those which tell other peers and seeds: "I have received everything you sent so far, send more now"...then those peers and seeds either slow their upload to you way down, or just plain stop! And when that happens, you may not even be able to download faster than 100 KiloBYTES/second.

Does that sound vaguely like the problem/s you're having?

...I'd also expect this to possibly cause uTorrent to think it's firewalled (light goes yellow) part of the time.

I just ran a speed test at dslreports.com and it said this:

Warning: ISP upload compression was detected. Your upload speeds may be inaccurate.

I've never seen this message before... could this have something to do with my speed problems?

Also:

Wasted: 18.7MB(6 hashfails)

What does that mean?

I tried lowing uTorrent's half open connection limit to 4 but that didn't do anything.

Even with this slackware torrent that's supposed to max out my internet connection my total download speed didn't go above 128:

wraligidvz.thumb500.jpg

Without the slackware torrent (and lowered my connection type from xx/768 to xx/640:

kpbzogmeaw.thumb500.jpg

Erratic behavior after being steady at slow speeds for a while:

abdwzinpgq.thumb500.jpg

hmm I saved these images from paint into png but it seems filefront automatically converts them to jpg when I upload them...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something weird happened after I called Cox and complained to them about my speeds: http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/m/MaxKohler/116835/alzhnsusui.jpg :)

Still nowhere near my maximum speeds, but huge improvement :)

Archived