Ports open - then not?

WolfDreamerNZ

Hi,

I have been using Utorrent and Bittorrent for a while - but have never had speeds of over about 25kb. I have forwarded ports and get a green tick - but no change. I have read and implimented the setup guide step by step and am currently downloading the OpenOffice document to test things...

(RESULT: OpenOffice - I reached a max of 117 at one point - but for the most part - it stays around 47-50.)

Any other torrent - I may get 20 if I am lucky....most commonly less than 10 - but the thing I don't understand is how my connection fluctuates between being open (green tick), unsure (yellow) and sometimes goes to red? What causes this...?

System stats at a glance:

Windows Vista 6.0.6000

Utorrent 1.8 (upgraded today)

Router: Billion 7200

Firewall: AVG (has been allowed and even tried disabled)

Max Upload rate: Unlimited (will sharing more files increase my download speed?)

Max Download Rate: Unlimited

ISP Blocking: Slingshot - New Zealand, No (tested as in setup guide)

Ports forwarded: In TCP - then added UDP forwarding for same port number

Number of files downloading: 2

File 1 example:

Seeds: 14(502) (not sure what the number in brackets indicates)

Peers: 6(327)

Current Speed and Status: 4.7kb/s and yellow indicator is on although it was green when starting this post....

I'm lost - what am I doing wrong...I haven't applied the tcpip patch as I am on Vista and it has a wee warning note about it...so what now...?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.....

WolfDreamerNZ

Hamilton, New Zealand

**edit: I have just finished going over the FAQ again and have once again set my speed according to my speed test...currently on 512kb - still no improvement in speed**

I thought I had answered most if not all of that in my original post - but I have broken it down line by line to be sure and realized I missed out the actual speed test results...

# EVERYTHING you've tried so far

**See above**

----------------------------------------------

# Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar

** As above - changes colour which is why I am asking**

-----------------------------------------------

# What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

**As above - Depends on status - as of now:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 14511 on 124.197.23.130...

Error! Port 14511 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

---------------------------------------------

# What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

** As above - set to default 512 settings**

# What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

** 8 - as instructed in setup guide**

# Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

** As above - Vista build 6.0.6000**

# Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

** As above - AVG**

------------------------------------------------

# Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

**As above - Billion 7200 / --

# ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

** As above - Slingshot New Zealand

------------------------------------------------------

# Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test

**DSL / Flash Test Results: Linkline CA Download = 2260kb/s /Upload = 119kb/s

(someone else in the flat could be downloading and using resources but it is 1:00am so I am unsure.)**

Does this help?

Much better, but not quite enough :)

EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed above (please be as explicit and specific as you can). Tell us what your changed settings are.

Lowering the number of connections as well as disabling DHT are among the suggestions I have no clue whether you've tried :P Just a bit more detail, please? Thanks!

Thanks again for your help - what started as wanting to know why my port forwarding is switching from green back to yellow after a short frame of time and what the numbers in brackets under seeders and peers mean has turned into something bigger - sorry for that.

I have been working on resolving this by myself so as not to bother you guys for over 6 months - I realize you get the same questions day in and day out and I didn't want to add to this, so I appreciate the help...

As for the above questions - hmmm - okay - I have lowered my speed as suggested by Switeck ( I was running it on 128 before but it seemed to make no difference)

And as for everything I have tried - that is a bit numerous...if it was suggested in the step by step guide - I did it - if it was suggested elsewhere in the forums I have tried it. I have ticked and unticked everything possible - edited advanced settings as per instructions - uninstalled and started fresh twice - even clean installed after a reformat recently - no difference.

Specifically in regards to unticking DHT and lowering number of connections - I have done both -restarted - waited 15min - no difference.

I will go step by step again to see if that helps...

--------------------------------------------

# Try lowering net.max_halfopen to 8 or lower

** Was already at 8 but lowered it to 4 as someone suggested this worked well for them - is currently back on 8

----------------------------------------

# Try disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab's context menu

** Yes**

------------------------------------------

# Try disabling DHT

**Yes**

-------------------------------------------

# Try disabling UPnP and NAT-PMP

**Yes**

---------------------------------------

# Try disabling peer.resolve_country if it isn't already set to false

** Already set to false**

-----------------------------------------

# Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? Lower?

**Have tried everything from 25-250 - currently sitting on default for 128 connection - which is 80

# Try patching TCPIP.sys (Windows XP w/ SP2, Windows 2003 w/ SP1, or newer)?

**Have not due to warning - should I try this anyway??

--------------------------------------------------

# Connect your computer directly to the modem to make sure the problem is not caused by the router

**Yes**

--------------------------------------------------

# Restart your computer, modem, and router after performing any of the above

**Yes, many times**

---------------------------------------------------

# Make sure you have a green network status light in the µTorrent status bar and/or the port checker in the Speed Guide (Ctrl+G) shows the port to be open

**NO - this is part of my original question with why my port connection keeps changing

------------------------------------------------

# Try testing a torrent from OpenOffice.org, Slackware Linux, or Ubuntu Linux?

**Yes - results above**

# Try enabling Protocol Encryption? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

**Yes**

--------------------------------------------

# Made sure peer.lazy_bitfield is enabled? (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

**Already was so left it**

# Test your connection with Glasnost to make sure your ISP isn't throttling BitTorrent **Checked both Glasnost and thread - no throttling

THINGS TO TAKE NOTE OF SECTION:

**No hashfalls but I don't understand the seed and peer numbers as stated above in the example so I don't know if they are false but nothing is showing in my logs

**I do have router control

**Have deleted settings data as well as completely reinstalled and redownloaded

Now what?

I have a static IP address set up that is one outside the paramenters as advised...

*.*.*.100 - *.*.*.199 - mine is set to *.*.*.200

HOWEVER I have just noticed something spectacular - well maybe - my port forwarding is trying to read the WAN address and I have set up a static address on my LAN network...network is currently showing green indicator but if I check the port forwarding it says not open?

I am getting 47kb/s currently - tried setting up a port on my WAN address - but the router isn't allowing it - no error message or anything - just won't add it...maybe this is the key??

Thanks for this help - I'm obviously missing something...I followed the port forwarding guide instructions but could have missed something...

If I want to connect to the router to change settings - I use 192-168-1-254 - then I can configure my Billion router...

We pinged and it took all data about default gateways and such and then created the static IP address of 192-168-1-200...as the user defined start address is listed as 192-168-1-100 and the user defined end address is 192-168-1-199, then changed it back to auto get.

However in the router quick start guide it says static IP address is 192.168.241.101 - so I tried opening a port on that IP but it does the same as the WAN number - it won't add it to the list in TCP or UDP?

"No no, I said take your computer and connect it to the modem. Not the router. Unless they're both one and the same..."

**Sorry - I'm confused now...bear with me....**

PREVIOUS POST: "Connect to your router directly. What IP address does your computer get assigned? Make sure you change the PC back to auto-get an IP."

** I don't have anything else I can connect directly to - just the Billion Bipac 7100s??

Yep - see above:

I have a static IP address set up that is one outside the paramenters as advised...

*.*.*.100 - *.*.*.199 - mine is set to *.*.*.200

HOWEVER I have just noticed something spectacular - well maybe - my port forwarding is trying to read the WAN address and I have set up a static address on my LAN network...network is currently showing green indicator but if I check the port forwarding it says not open?

I am getting 47kb/s currently - tried setting up a port on my WAN address - but the router isn't allowing it - no error message or anything - just won't add it...maybe this is the key??

Archived