v1.8 but not 1.7.7:Browsing slow whilst utorrent seeding

leecovuk

Hello,

It looks like I'm not the only one finding speed issues in or around utorrent 1.8. However I have no idea how or why as my settings have not changed. I use the Speed Guide to call up the xx/640k 'preset' which seems/seemed suitable for my connection in 1.7.7. My only manual adjustment is I adjust the global upload cap to either unlimited or back to 60K, depending on whether I'm using the internet connection for other things whilst seeding in utorrent.

Specifically, I notice that web browsing is very much impaired whilst seeding in utorrent 1.8. Even trying a global upload cap of 40K doesn't really restore it; with 1.7.7 I can have an upload cap of 60K and web browsing is largely fine.

It doesn't seem to be an issue of the amount of incoming and outgoing connections my pc is making, because my firewall reports similar loads in that regard when using either utorrent version.

I just thought I would post my experiences in case anyone also finds the same and knows why it is happening.

I have reverted to 1.7.7 after a full uninstall of 1.8 and a reinstall of 1.7.7, and all is again fine.

Lee

Thanks for your replies.

I'm quite content using 1.7.7, but what is different about 1.8 that may have caused what I have noticed?

There do seem to be a lot of speed related queries and apparent problems being posted on these forums regarding 1.8

Lee

Hello Firon,

No, I haven't heard of those things.

I use Avast AV and Comodo firewall. I did however clear the old firewall settings and make/allow new ones for each install/reinstall.

I appreciate I can't help 'debug' this if I'm back on 1.7.7; I just found it weird how 'something odd' seemed to be happening with my overall internet connection when seeding in 1.8, then I looked on here and found other apparently loosely related queries. It was kind of as if utorrent was 'hogging' the connection without the settings suggesting that it should.

I did also find I wasn't connecting to a seed whilst downloading 2 torrents, but I didn't mention that in case I was just on a poorly seeded torrent. I get/got the 'green tick' on the network indicator and checking the connection shows/showed a green 'ok' in the browser.

I'll probably try 1.8 again later, but I suspect other more hardcore users can get across and pinpoint any issues more accurately that I could.

Lee

Hello thelittlefire,

Yes, it does. I use all Avast Home Free's scanning options.

It also has a P2P Shield section, where 'utorrent' is the only client not selected by default, for some reason. I am in the habit of switching that on for utorrent. Its settings page says it 'scans the received files'.

Anyway, I've tried again with 1.8 and at the moment my reported problems haven't occurred.

Unless they creep in after some time with the client open and active, all seems fine.

This time, I think I recall rebooting the pc between uninstalling 1.7.7 and installing 1.8, and then again after installing 1.8. On both attempts (this one and earlier) I deleted the utorrent settings on uninstall. ie I didn't do an 'update' to the existing install, rather a full uninstall and reinstall.

So, maybe the extra rebooting is significant.

Archived