Problems watching movies on new LCD

j1

I just recently purchased Samsung 940b(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001066) everything works fine and all but when i watch movies full screen it tends to skip a second or two this is very annoying. This did not come with an DVI cable so im using an analogue. I was also recommended not to download the drivers because it would lower my hz refresh rate. Anyone know which is most likely causing me problems?

Skip a second? How do you mean? Does the sound still work fine?

Also, update to the newest drivers anyway, assuming that you have the old drivers on CD or something. I doubt that they will have such an effect, or at least if they do, it will be something like no longer allowing refresh rates in excess of 200 Hz or someething. :P You're talking about your graphics card drivers, right?

Those monitors (LCD/TFT in general, as opposed to CRT) can only display one single resolution. It is stated in tech specs as either optimal or maximal resolution. For anything lower than that the monitor scales the picture up, and usually does it in the nastiest way possible (cause it is also technically the simplest way).

That can be the reason why the video looks crappy. DVI cable wont make any difference on that. Yet, meddling with the video player settings and forcing it to stay at your desktop resolution (that is probably set to screen optimal one) should do the trick.

About the skips, if you just unplug your CRT screen from the VGA connector and plug the new screen in, there is no way it could cause it. But if you where running at 75..85Hz refresh rate and now attempting to run at 200Hz may place a heavy load on the video card. Btw, this is totally pointless, especially for non-CRT screens, and also ruins the analog signal quality because of the high 'pixel' (horizontal) frequency involved.

FYI, it's the native resolution, since it is the same as the number of physical pixels on the screen. Though I doubt this has anything to do with the problem..

1280x1024 is the native resolution of that monitor, by the way. You can check that you have it set correctly by right-clicking a blank area on your desktop, going to Properties, and choosing the Settings tab.

FYI, it's the native resolution...

I know, thats the actual resolution of the TFT matrix, it doesnt really matter if you call it 'native', 'maximal', 'optimal' or whatever the manufacture decided to call it.

Though I doubt this has anything to do with the problem..

It has nothing to do with the skips, as well as the screen itself has nothing to do with those.

But IMHO, a crazy refresh rate, such a 200Hz, may cause problems. Note that the screen is stated to be 8mS, 1/8mS=125Hz, and that would be the fastest response possible for the matrix ! Setting it to anything higher than that is simply pointless.

Well the skips turned out to be a one time quirk videos are fine now but the videos on the LCD does not look as clear and defined on my 17 CRT now my video card is old and outdated (tnt2 model 64) could this be the problem?

j1, try running your media player windowed and stretch the window to take maximal screen area possible. if the video quality looks better than the one using full screen mode, start looking in the player options on how to force it to 1280x1024. if it isnt - i dont know.

BTW, i wonder why the hell all those those screens have a resolution of 1280x1024, not 1280x960, that seems much more natural for a computer screen.

Neither do I, it bothers the hell out of me, and it totally screws up the aspect ratio. -_-;

Some games won't run in that resolution either. Another reason why LCDs suck (apart from the ghosting, issues with colors, true black, price, etc)

I use 1280x960 here.

Using anything higher than 1024x768 on my (pretty old) 17" crt screen gives me a head ache in about 10 minutes because of the flickering (1024x768 is the max that it can still show at 85Hz refresh, at 75Hz the flickering on it is already very noticable).

:(

And, damn it, its 4am, and i have to go to work in a few hours !!!

g'night all

No, LCDs just suck.

CRTs hurt my eyes and take up too much space. I'm not a big gamer, but most of my friends are, and from what I've seen comparing CRTs to LCDs, the difference is really not that big.

Also the difference between an old CRT and pretty much any LCD is DEFINITELY notable. Old CRTs suck hard, maybe it's just because they're getting crap with age..

As for why your video looks blurry, I'm still putting money on the fact that you've probably got the resolution set lower than the maximum. That will make it look terrible for sure.

LCDs hurt my eyes, and I watch enough movies and play enough games for it to matter :P The color reproduction and resolution things piss me off too. You'll never catch me dead with an LCD, I won't buy one until they get good and REASONABLE in price. My CRT kicks ass.

Yeah, nothing will make it perfect (its design is its limitation), but I think graphics cards can stretch them more nicely. I remember seeing screenshots of laptop graphics cards that stretch the lower screen resolutions more nicely than the competitor (I think it was ATi's that was better than nVidia's). That didn't change the fact that it was still ugly, but it was better nonetheless =P

LCDs hurt my eyes, and I watch enough movies and play enough games for it to matter :P

orly? That's interesting. I always found CRTs either too full-on, or so dim that they strained my eyes :( Personal preference I guess. I think I'll choose compactness and stylishness over resolution adjustment and colour reproduction myself, since the colour reproduction issues are fairly insignificant on a good LCD, and I value my desk real estate. :)

ok i think the problem has nothing to do with my LCD but the movies i don't think they were made for a 5:4 setting is there a program or something where i can convert the settings on the movies?

the main problem with my movies are that its either somewhat or very pixelated i didn't have this pixalation problem on my CRT

Archived