What is considered a good speed for torrents?

SigourneyBeaver

Honest, I've looked around and can't find the answer in a language I can understand.

I've got a dsl connection with 5MB/s download speeds and about 650k/s upload speed, so I'm really just wondering what is considered a good speed for torrents to be doing their thing on my connection?

Typically, my dl speeds seem to be about 20-50kps, and my ul speeds tend to be about 80kps. Is this good, is this bad, or is this the norm?

Thank you.

Honest, I've looked around and can't find the answer in a language I can understand.

I've got a dsl connection with 5MB/s download speeds and about 650k/s upload speed, so I'm really just wondering what is considered a good speed for torrents to be doing their thing on my connection?

Typically, my dl speeds seem to be about 20-50kps, and my ul speeds tend to be about 80kps. Is this good, is this bad, or is this the norm?

Thank you.

Your pipe is choked. Bring it down to under 70. A "good" DL speed depends on a whole lot, like your torrent, where you live, your settings, the Earth's magnetic field ... etc.

I have a similar connection to yours, though I only have a 512k/s up pipe - 64kB theoretical, about 60kB (occasional peak at 63kB/s) practical upload limit. Now I set it to 48 while downloading, 54 pure seeding.

Overall, for a reasonable torrent, I'm happy if it works up to about 80kB/s. 20-50kB/s after workup is below average, but not too bad. With the new betas and the right settings, you can get about 100-180kB/s with a good torrent. You may occasionally get a burst of 300kB/s speed, but only a burst, a few times a year - ultra rare.

That's it? I regularly get 200+ on most of the large public torrents (private are a whole 'nother story) :P

1) What's your up and down pipe?

2) I didn't play around too much with Advanced Settings, so I may be missing out on a little.

3) Maybe your "strong torrents" are stronger than mine.

4) I live in Hong Kong. I got a feeling you are in America. I would guess that all else being equal, people living in America would have some advantage - we are on the relative butt end, you are in the hub.

I'm just poking fun, 100+ is quite respectable for most public torrents. Certainly nothing to complain about.

4800/470, and there's really nothing in the advanced settings that can influence the speeds. I do use an upload cap of 39 for downloading though (73% of 53.5, my actual max). You might get a similar effect by lowering your upload speed slightly and playing with the value: 80% is just a starting point. I also use cFosSpeed for traffic shaping / QoS so that probably has some influence on it, though I got those speeds before I had it.

I live in Puerto Rico, smack dab in the ocean! I guess it is some kind of advantage though, since it's closer to the States.

I capped my uploads to 65 and that seems to be helping it be steadier on the downloads at about the same or a little higher.

Thank you for your input. All in all it sounds like my speeds are good considering all of the variable that can make a difference (such as the torrent itself, the moon phase, whether the cat is sitting in the right spot, etc). I've had a few bursts up to 300kps, too. These are all public torrents, as I'm still learning. I just wasn't sure if I should be expecting something more like...I don't know, 2MB/s... and that appears to be a little wishful thinking.

I DO like the best of all of the clients I've tried. Good job!

Thanks again.

Oh! Why would anyone use a "private torrent" when there are all of the file sharing sites like yousendit.com around?

Now, now... :P I don't know what they're playing on the other islands, but over here it's the same old Central/South-American crap (no offense to anyone from there). Ballenato, Salsa, Merengue...you name it...and the home-grown Ritmo Combina (don't ask). :( God do I hate this place, damn! :mad: Give me my 1337 Heavy Metal instead of this horrible music, please... :(

bachata and merengue i like more then salsa/reggeaton and other crap...although i mostly don't understand what they say but it sounds good and you can dance so sexy (not ordinary sexy) with your girl(s) :D

wished i could live in the caribbean

Stupid me, I just realized that I really had a 6Mbps/640kbps connection. My ISP does not publish the up number in easy site, so I just assumed from what I can get (Limiter Off) that 512kbps was my speed. Until I checked in Cfosspeed's "tested providers" place and I realized my connection is really supposed to be a 640kbps = 80kByte/sec.

Seeing this, I tried to relax the limit and now my max practical is up to about 70kB/s (occasional) and about 64 or so sustained. That's up from the old values, which would hold true in any OHTER client. Any ideas I can squeeze a few more kB/s out of my upload? And when I set the new Upload Limit, should I base it off my theoretical max (which is 80kB/s) or my practical max (which right now looks to be 65-70kB/s)?

Thank you.

Why would anyone use a "private torrent" when there are all of the file sharing sites like yousendit.com around?

A private torrent is like a normal torrent but is only avaliable to a selected group of people, hence "private". It's not usually used to transfer files between only a few people.

Archived