No speed improvement

NIko

i had uTorrent for a couple of days n my average speed is about 3kB/s per torrent. sometimes it goes up to 10kB/s per torrent but its not constant.

i read icedogs mini guide but i guess im missin sumtin. plz tell me exactly wat could be wrong...

Network OK

Cable 3000kB/s download 384kB/s upload

Linksys BEFSR41

Global Maximum Number of Connections: 384

Maximum Number of Connections Per Torrent: 48

Number of Upload Slots Per Torrent: 7

Use Additional Slots if under 90%: ticked

Global Upload Speed: 29

Global Download Speed: 225

Ratio: 150

n thats all i know...PLZ HELP

Set your upload slots to 4 and don't run more then 2 torrent at a time. Unless it is a very well seeded torrent you will not get more then a 1-1 ratio. Example: 10 seeds 52 peers, once you get upto speed, you won't get more then your upload speed. Example 2: 36 seeds 4 peers you might get your max download speed.. Basically your upload directly effects your download and you only have 29 up most the time you will only get 29 down. Now when your upload slots are uploading slower then 3KB/sec you tend to get little to nothing in return so if you only running 1 torrent 29/3=9slots and that the most you would use, but with 2 torrent thats 29/2=14.5 14/3=4slots. Yea I know the math it not exact numbers, but hopefully you can see why I listed that way rather then including the decimals.

Another issue may be your router, but I'm not certain on that though. Linksys went to shit after cisco bought them. Powercycle it and see if you speed improves for a while, but gets worse over time.

Huh?!? :o Can you even understand English, NIko? Gheeez! :mad: Rogers (your ISP), kills BitTorrent traffic - they won't allow it. There's not a lot you can do about it, except following Chaosblade's advice and hope for the best. If it's an option to you, switch to another ISP which doesn't block BitTorrent traffic. :/

They may work great for bittorrent, but they are far from great. They are cheap 3rd rate equipment, that's only somewhat functional with 4th rate support. I've tested them and found repeatable problems such as being able to crash the wifi routers with just a simple file copy, and demonstrated the problems to their level 3 support and they deigned the problems, then changed and said: No no it's supposed to do that. ((Drop connection and crash or reboot) Yea it's supposed to do that when you push the 'restart now button' not when your copying files), then just ignored me. I'm not just talking about 1 model I'm talking about 5 different models with very similar problems. They used to make good products and maybe some day they will again, but I won't use any of their consumer products, especially their wireless stuff made in the 3-4 years.

Well, I've never had any problems like that... and I copy files all the time across the network :P

If you mean copying files to the router itself, they capped it in the official firmware to 3MB for some stupid reason, but there's workarounds for that.

I have to say they have awful firmware, but the nice thing is that you can get any of the numerous alternatives and fix all the crap they won't fix, and add new features while you're at it. It's still a far better choice than D-Link, at the very least.

Archived