Router with Dual WAN connections

jake61

I have two connections to my home, dsl & cable. Since Comcast recently posted bandwidth caps, I would like to have all my torrent traffic go over the dsl wan. My router is capable of forcing certain tcp ports over a given wan port. What I would like to know is what port is uTorrent using for outgoing requests?

I understand the incoming requests are over a specific port, but I want to make sure that all data is over the dsl wan, and I obviously want to avoid sending a bad ip address to any trackers.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hey thanks for the reply, although if you are going slam someone for not reading the FAQ and searching the forums, you might want to understand fully what they are asking. I did check the FAQ and searched the forums before I posted, and I did not find any information that helped me, very similar to the reply you posted.

I had come across the advanced settings that you mentioned in your reply, however those seemed to refer to a pc with multiple NICs. My pc has a single NIC, and it is connected to the LAN side of a single router. That router has two WAN connections. The router load balances traffic across the two WAN connections. What I want to do is make sure that all my torrent traffic goes across one of the two WAN connections. I can do this if I know what tcp port or ports are being used. I do this for https traffic over port 443 so that all requests go through the same public ip.

I notice that the ports that the trackers use are all over the place. I also don't understand the internals of Bit Torrents all that well so I'm not sure if it is possible to force most of my bit torrent traffic through particular ports.

BTW, I suppose I could dedicate my dsl connection to Bit Torrent, and hook a second nic from my pc directly to my dsl bridge, but then I would give up load balancing and redundancy for all my other traffic, plus the stuff I read on net.outgoing_ip net.bind_ip indicates that Windows may not always follow those directives.

Archived