New Column for sorting files in a torrent

Kreationz

Yes, but not exactly. You can't sort them by remaining size to give ones that have more or less left priority.

Example:

Torrent has files A.zip through E.zip

A=2 Megs

B=4 Megs

C=6 Megs

D=8 Megs

E=20 Megs

But Remaining Size on the files =

A=0 Megs (50%)

B=3 Megs (75%)

C=3 Megs (66%)

D=2 Megs (75%)

E=4 Megs (80%)

Now while E has the greatest percent done I might want to raise the priority of File D since it has the least remaining in size, but Sorting by Size put D toward the bottom. Sorting by % Done Put E at the top.

With torrents that have sometimes 100's of files with great disparity in size I found this to be to be a problem. I do want a % of file remaining as two with %50 can take vastly different amounts of time to finish as 1 may be 10X(or even 100X) the size of the other file.

By being able to sort be Size remaining, I can prioritize files that are physically not just % wise closer to finishing to begin to enjoy the files of my torrents sooner and decided whether or not to waste my bandwidth on the remaining or even part of the remaining files.

When a torrent is 75Gb and I only want 30Gigs(the other 45 are useless) I'm not going to download 45 unnecessary gigabytes of data. As shown in my Example sorting by "Done" Would put E at the top not "D" which is truly the file closest to completion. It's not downloading in a particular file. I want to check 1 or 2 files to make sure I've gotten what I need. (Or the case could be 5 seasons on a shows and want to make sure it's the right show so which ever single file has the least left I can set to high to preview the episode and then let it all finish as normal, but this is a bad example because percent done will work here, this is mainly a problem with torrent )

For a second clearer example

20 File torrent

10 x 10MB

10 x 500 Mb

A. I may not want all the 500 MB files. Not want them in a particular order just not want some.(Maybe I have some them already for instance so they are set to skip.)

B.If each of 500MB files has download 50% and the 10Mb files have only downloaded 10% the 10Mb files will all show lower % but have less remaining. Rather than wait for a random 250Mb or 9Mb to finished I could raise the priority of one of the 10Mb files in this case. (Preferably the one with the most done, with 100+ files of varying sizes it can vary a lot more.)

Also, micromanagement of priorities is just silly. You should just let the torrent finish instead of trying to get every file to download in a particular order.

Not everyone has 100's of gigs of hard drive space. So so micromanagement is necessary and I don't want all the files. The torrent could be a collection and I'm only missing 2 files from my personal collection. (I know torrents are not very good for this, but they perform well if you want at least half of what's in the torrent.)

If you already have some of the files, then they should be added in the client and not skipped so the data gets checked and then seeded out to people.

HDDs are super cheap. Lack of storage space is no excuse nowadays.

At this point, I'm not disagreeing with you in adding the Remaining column, sort of going off on a tangent here...

• 3 weeks later...
If you already have some of the files, then they should be added in the client and not skipped so the data gets checked and then seeded out to people.

Problem is I have them in a different format AKA (WMA vs MP3, etc...) I'm not particular about formats, but I'm on a connection w/a FAP (Fair Access Policy) So I must optimize my bandwidth usage. It's a business class satellite connection so at least the firewall is off at the ISP, but FAP limits are still in effect...

HDDs are super cheap. Lack of storage space is no excuse nowadays.

Not as cheap for laptops, when on a limited budget, but plan on fixing when I get a chance.

P.S. I can add this myself as I do C++ coding... Where is the source located?

Archived