Dang ISP!

Alistair

Heya,

All right. I have a quick question, I have 3 computers, and one of 'em my GF uses all the time, but she dosen't do anything really excpect play Sims 2.

Anywho, my ISP keeps blocking me for I have to many "IP" connections, and I only have UTorrent sent for 20 and 10 connections and they still ban me. Anyone know how to get around it? For I want a few of torrents *Fumes* They said I should only have a max of 40 connections (Too me is, BS).

According to the Network Admin, he says I have 70 connections, and that's still to many overall.

Clues, or just a anal ISP all of sudden? For I have no 'blems with 'em before, cause I downloaed 5 times heavier a few months ago, and they did nothing.

Thanks,

Ali

Rebbelus,

I'm not even running UTorrent, and I have 17 connections. My Messangers, Firefox, and all of that jazz. Is that just a load of crock, they are on something or what? Said something about cripping their access point (Which I think is kinda bull, or it's just really really weak and pathetic all of sudden).

Thanks,

Ali

For starters, turn off DHT in µTorrent. Disable it across the board, not just on individual torrents.

DHT opens lots of UDP connections just so you *MIGHT* find additional sources for torrents, especially if a tracker goes down. Even in the unlikely event that a tracker goes down, you continue downloading at least the current chunks from the peers+seeds you're connected with.

Secondly, to really see what kinds of activity are going on your computer, get TCP View from:

http://www.sysinternals.com/

It can also close unwanted connections -- such as the ones that get stuck in time-wait or close-wait.

Choas & Slayers,

Well, I'm def. going to do that today, all right. I think it's just a bit pathetic to be honest, and I'll explain why in a bit.

Switeck,

Thank you, tha's exactly something I needed and I figured out why my ISP is whining, even then it's rather childish. I opended normally what I surf and everything and quick load, and apparently, they are bitching about firefox and my "Ant-Virus" for it stays a good minute or two connected to every webpage. =/ So I'm going main office today to deal with that.

Utorrent only has like 10 connections. Hahaha. It's downloadin' like crap, I want at least 20 or something so they finish off. I feel like it's back at Dial up days. =/ Despite my Upload is good, not that I mind, just want something a bit return *Shakes fist and BC*

Small update, and thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Tootles,

Ali

Ok, another thing I thought of that you can change is reduce the number of half-open connections that µTorrent tries to make at once from the default of 8 to as low as 4. This may slow down its start-up, but should greatly reduce the number of 'ghost' connections that are in a half-connected (but still being counted) state.

Huh. That sucks, and I would try to switch ISPs. If > 40 connections is "crippling" their access point, then there is a problem with it. :P

I'd imagine that with less than 100 connections, you really can't get the best out of BitTorrent in most situations. :(

It's more understandable if it's a wireless ISP, but even still that's rudeness to think people "have no need" of more than 40 connections at once. Heck, I've seen web pages with so many ads and pop-ups on them that they might be peaking out close to 100 connections all by themselves.

I run µTorrent with only 60-80 connections max on a Win 98SE box and it runs pretty good. I've seen speeds as high as 720 KB/sec in BitTornado (due to a very good seed) and ~350 KB/sec in µTorrent (likewise). Before long, I expect I'll see 500+ KB/sec in µTorrent -- all depends on how soon I find an idle T-3 line as a seed. :)

Wow. 40 connections? True, I use more then 40 connections without even torrents running.

BTW, what's the max total number of connections XP can handle? Not the 10 tcp connection opening issue, I mean total established connections?

There's usually some other bottleneck to max connections that gets hit long before Win XP's limit is reached.

Routers may have a limited memory or processing speed that either has a fixed limit on connections or has a limit loosely based on activity -- meaning lots of slow connections don't count as much as lots of fast connections, even though in both cases the number of connections remains the same.

Wireless and USB connections seems especially limited in the number of connections they can handle at once, as well as the increasing error-rate (and consequential problems) they experience as they approach that limit.

In this case, the ISP is putting another bottleneck on the limit through strict limitation.

Other ISPs may be doing this indirectly or directly either through "random" dropping of idle connections, intentional breaking of connections as speeds or bandwidth quotas are exceeded, or due to some hardware or software limitations of their own...possibly in their packet-inspecting firewalls at their gateways.

Heya,

Switeck, you are correct. =O I'm no dumb person either when it comes to computers, and that's why I was peeved off as well. I know how many connections are required for "Average" computers. =P I never had it that high, but we sorted things out, anyways. He feared I had a virus, or something to that effect. Cause apparently a lot of their network is gettin' hit with that "Meta" exploit or something to that effect. Thus, why the instant disconnection, and watching the "line." I guess I don't blame 'em one bit, really.

Which I can understand, for it was a miscommucation (Never go through Tech SUpport, and Network Admin. =/) For he saw like 200+ some connections from "1" computer all the same time. He didn't know I had 3 of 'em hooked up, and he understood better this time around. He just told me keep my bittorrent below 25 connections (Which I did anyways, for I still get good speeds for the most part) and he will be happy. If I add more computers, just to let 'em know so they are aware of the connections.

So in the end, it did end up good.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, and they are helping a lot about the open connections and such. =P

Thanks,

Ali

Thanks. This computer alone has ut set for 1800 max connections, 80 active torrents. I understand about the router issue. I'm SSH in and it says plenty of free ram and load average is low as well. If something is at the limit, it would be XP or my ISP. So far, ISP hasn't complained about the actual running of torrents yet, but they do apply the lazybitfield which I need to set on all my torrent programs for seeds to run well.

What's funny is, I have multiple active computers behind the router. Other machines have a much more modest number of active connections. Think they are set for only 600 each. But I'm using Azureus on those. (Sorry, headless machines running WebUI Swing is just way too convient).

Archived