Can I move the download folder to another HD?

sumobear

Hello,

Forgive my ignorance, I did read the faq. There is a lot to learn. I started downloading to my C:\ drive. I fast used up the space and need to move the files.

I dont want to put them on CD/DVD because I want to keep them available for others to download.

Can I simply move the folder to the other HD and change the Options>Preferences>Directories to point to the new location?

I would just try it, but I dont want it to effect my ratio if I can help it.

Thanks for taking time to read and reply.

Can I simply move the folder to the other HD and change the Options>Preferences>Directories to point to the new location?

No, because that setting isn't retroactive to already-loaded torrents.

You need to:

1> stop the torrent

2> move the files

3> Use the "Set download location" function to get the new location

4> Force a re-check to verify you've pointed it at the correct folder layer (set the download location again if you got it wrong)

5> start the torrent.

Actually, I believe what you can do is remove the torrents from utorrent(not deleting content), move the content, change the download destination in preferences, then open the torrents again. It will download to the location you have just moved your content to, see there is already similar content, check it, and seed. This is a lot easier than right clicking each torrent individually and changing it's download location imo.

However, that's if you want all your content in one directory on the other drive.

Archived