Allow choice of torrent removal type

Shiggity

Well, I've just gotten and started playing with this beta, and I'm really pleased with it. The one problem I have with it so far is that when you remove a torrent from the list, it also removes the data file, no matter what. I think an option should be added to [dis]allow that from happening, and allow the user to turn that option on or off.

Other than that, it's awesome that there's finally a beta of this otherwise awesome BT client. It's my choice client when I'm on Windows machines.

Platform: Apple MacBook 2.2 GHz

I agree with the general request, but did not have that issue. When I removed the file from the list, it did not delete the data file (which is good!)

However, when I want to remove a torrent file, I almost always want to delete it, otherwise I end up with a stupid amount of old torrent files in my downloads folder as I always forget to delete them manually. With transmission I could do this, but don't think i can with utorrent.

So for me that'd be a good addition to a great application.

Thanks.

If data are always deleted, that would be a bug, but I wasn't able to reproduce it myself.

'Remove' button only removes from the list.

If you right click on the torrent, you have 4 different options (remove, remove torrent, remove data, remove all) and they should do what they say.

Are you sure you had data downloaded in the first place? The files are only created after at least one piece has been downloaded from peers.

I had the same problem; I'm assuming the thread-starter pressed 'delete' or 'cmd+delete' to remove it, and that indeed deletes the data file, or at least every time I try it. It's not a big issue, but after switching to mac it's a habit that I'm guessing a lot of Windows users picked up. It would be cool if 'delete' removed it from the list and 'cmd+delete' removed the data file or something like that.

Cmd+Backspace seems to be the standard keyboard shortcut for removing files to the Trash in OS X, right? I don't use a Mac, but if it's causing behavior not unlike Shift+Delete in Windows, then methinks the behavior needs a bit of changing around.

Cmd+Backspace should behave like Delete in Windows (removes the torrent job, not the contents)

Cmd+Shift+Backspace (or Cmd+Alt+Backspace) should behave like Shift+Delete in Windows (remove the torrent job and the contents)

Should be less confusing that way. Whether it removes to Trash by default is something else worth looking at (in Windows, it doesn't remove to the Recycle Bin by default, but that doesn't have to be so under OS X).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suggest that you remove key bindings in uTorrent that mess with the downloaded data. Or at least give the user an alert about what he's going to do. It's not wise of you to make any shortcut sillently remove anything from the FileSystem. Better yet - don't remove them directly. Move them to trash.

Repeat:

- dont bind harmful features to easilly mistaken keyboard shortcuts

- dont silently remove anything from hard drive

- dont remove files directly - instead move them to trash

Three simple fixes to this broken feature.

Archived