uTorrent 1.4 build 402

Ares

For some reason I am not getting anywhere near my max download speed any longer. I downgraded to 1.3 and even 1.2.2 and the problem persists. So I don't think the problem lies with uTorrent itself. But anyway I can download at a little over 300KBytes/s and have been doing so with uTorrent for quite awhile. Anyway, now for some reason I can't get past 50KB/s. And I'm talking good-sized, active torrents like OpenOffice.org and Ubuntu Linux distros. Another strange thing is, I can't quite seem to seed/upload faster than 6KB/s. My upload cap is at 22KB/s.

EDIT: Oh, and if I only run one torrent at a time, neither goes over 25KB/s. So it's almost as if each torrent is capped at 25KB/s in. I'm wondering if this doesn't have to do with the built-in anti-leeching thing that limits your downoad speed if your upload speed is under 6KB/s. Mind you my upload limit is 22KB/s, but I have yet to upload over 6KB/s today while testing this (it's been awhile since I've been torrenting, and today is the first day it has behaved this way).

See these screenshots:

SpeakEasy Bandwidth Test & Main µTorrent Window:

utspeedreport7ok.th.gif utmain6ph.th.gif

So my bandwidth is about 346KB/s in and 32 KB/s out. Download is set to unlimited, and upload is capped at 22KB/s. Yet µTorrent uses a max of 50KB/s in and 6KB/s out.

Various screenshots of settings:

utnetworkoptions6qb.th.gif uttorrentoptions7mq.th.gif utadvanced15zu.th.gif utadvanced21xq.th.gif

Is my ISP (Cebridge) throttling my torrents or something? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. Just so it's clear, I support the anti-leeching function now built into µTorrent. I'm just wondering if it might have a few kinks to work out, that's all. =)

Thanks for such an excellent program, Ludde!

-Ares

Have you tried erasing uTorrent's settings? Maybe something was messed up with the upgrade and such? Then run uTorrent again and check.

Tried it. Didn't help. Good idea though... =\

Sounds suspiciously like ISP throttling... It can't be the new anti-leech thing since it only happens when you set your upload limit to 1-5KB/s, not when you're uploading at those speeds.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards. Cause I can go run a bandwidth test and max out my connection almost, even when µTorrent is running. I don't know why, but it just won't go over 30-40KB/s. On stuff like Linux distros and OpenOffice.org. Those are usually what I use to test with.

Try them yourself, if you don't mind, and tell me what speeds you get:

Ubuntu Live CD

OpenOffice 2.01 Install w/JRE

-Ares

@hofshi: Can't really do that, as I go through a router and would have to forward each port. It would be nice if µTorrent would be able to pick a random port between a range of ports, so I could just use a good chunk of ports to forward to myself.

Anyway I was using port 13900, but am now trying 1720 (VoIP port) to no avail. I thought of that as soon as I sent my previous post. Didn't help, though... =\

-Ares

@hofshi: Using 1.4 build 403, actually :D

I was originally using build 402 though. Just thought I'd try the very latest to see if it helped.

And yeah, speed guide said my port was being forwarded OK.

So if you're getting the same speeds I am, can you recommend a high-speed torrent for me to test with? Those two just looked saturated enough that they would be (and almost always are) fast.

-Ares

Blah... using 1.4 b404 now. Even slower than before. Now I'm on a huge torrent, and speeds don't go over 5KB/s. It's a TV episode I download weekly. No hash fails or anything. Just horribly slow. It's been going like that for an hour now, with 1200+ seeds. =(

uttvshow3jg.th.gif

-Ares

I have found utorrent to be EXTREMELY slow since 1.3. Before anyone tries saying that it is a network problem, everything worked prior to 1.3. Other clients' speeds are much faster than the recent utorrent builds. I am not ragging on the developper, I think that utorrent is by far the best client out there, I am just curious as to why so many people are getting extremely low download speeds lately. Any ideas?

I can't blame µTorrent at all. I got desperate and downloaded BitComet a little while ago (sigh). Even with packet encryption forced, I still can't get over 30-40KB/s. Web speeds still hover around 300KB/s or higher.

Guess I'm screwed... =(

-Ares

Well I was thinking that maybe my speeds were slow because there were so many BitComet users in the swarm I was using. So, I fired up BitComet (reluctantly) and tried a few high-profile torrents. No luck. I'm limited at 30KB/s. I can even run a speed test and get 300KB/s or more in WHILE running Bittorrent at 30KB/s. I forced BitComet's encryption on. Still no go. I don't know what's happened. *sigh*

Part of me was hoping BitComet didn't work though - I didn't want to have to switch :D

-Ares

Every single torrent I try to download, including very popular ones, is EXTREMELY slow. I am using the exact same settings in every regard as I used to when using utorrent pre-1.3 where I was getting very fast download speeds. I am very confident there isn't any problems with the network setup. Other clients still work very fast for the exact same torrents. Seems as though something happened from 1.3 onwards. I am only getting <0.5kBs speeds from anyone that I connect to.

Archived