Ludde

DrS

Ludde,

If you have a moment, would you mind giving a reply to the following.

What is your opinion about cheating* peers?

(If an anwer to a question is "no", skip the remaining questions)

1. Do you acknowledge some peers cheat?

2. Do you consider cheating peers a problem?

3. Do you consider this problem a big enough problem to address?

4. Do you consider this problem (also) needs to be addressed by a bittorrent client?

5. Does µTorrent address this problem?

6. Will more feautures be added to µTorrent to address this problem?

7. How will those features address this problem?

Answers with motivation would be much appreciated.

* If you feel cheat in the context of peer-to-peer traffic needs a precise definition, provide one.

Really. Do you know what kind of system is he trying to implement? From what little I see, Ludde is against anything that can be abused, and as far as going for limiters seems to be going mostly for behaviorial detection (features like trying to detect if BC threw away the requests or banning for consistently providing bad hashes). Which is good (in a "for torrent" way rather than for user - users want "Kick and Ban" available on a right click), but no doubt makes it hard to implement.

I need help. I'm a complete computer biff. I'm trying to download a file from [index site name removed for content], but they've banned my old torrent client (Bitcomet) which did everything for me. I went to the forum to see what the other members recommended and utorrent was the outright winner, so I downloaded it. It's loaded fine, but whenever I try to download something the blue arrow is pointing down with a "no-entry" sign next to it and it doesn't start to download. I've been to the forum on this site and everyone is talking in swahili to me, DHT, URL, Portforward, etc. Could somebody please just give me a guide in plain english how to set this thing up. I've got Norton 2006 running but I don't think that is the problem. Please be gentle with me, you were new to this once too.

I need help. I'm a complete computer biff. I'm trying to download a file from [site name removed for content],

[site name removed for content] is apparently a private tracker.

but they've banned my old torrent client (Bitcomet) which did everything for me.

Well, private trackers these days are banning BC left and right.

I went to the forum to see what the other members recommended and utorrent was the outright winner, so I downloaded it. It's loaded fine, but whenever I try to download something the blue arrow is pointing down with a "no-entry" sign next to it and it doesn't start to download. I've been to the forum on this site and everyone is talking in swahili to me, DHT, URL, Portforward, etc.

Have you ever tried signing up? Because of DHT and BC's rather uh ... liberal interpretation of said DHT, you may have been able to get files from [site name removed for content] even without signing in. It is probably the biggest thing (though apparently not the only thing) that got it banned.

The "no entry" sign means it cannot connect to the private tracker.

Now, after signing up, turn off anything that says "Antivirus" or "Firewall". It doesn't matter if you think there isn't a problem - just turn them off for a go anyway. Now start your download again. If it actually runs turn your antivirus and firewall stuff back on. If the download continues, great, if the download stops after this, come back.

Yup done that, still nothing. I'm probably missing something blaringly obvious, but I don't think so. What IS DHT? What's a private tracker? I do sign in to Bitsoup by the way. Can you recommend anywhere else to get my files from? One that utorrent recognises preferably.

I suggest EDITED. Try and find whether the stuff you want may be on a public tracker. I tend to avoid private trackers unless I have to, and I've only been forced to use one just now.

chaosblade, I'm not sure what you mean. If you refer to a recent fix/added feature, see http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=40072#p40072:

change log 1.3.1 build 390 / 1.4 wrote:

- Fix: Better detection if BitComet clients threw away my requests.

That's something, but not nearly enough to have a substantial effect. I haven't notice a difference, nothing at all.

That fix/feature either doens't work at all, or it's effect is too little to notice.

I still use µTorrent, but don't seed with it anymore. I use Azureus and stuffer plugin for that. I know that's an unpolished method, but still very efficient and definitely better than doing nothing or relying on the above mentioned fix/feature.

Many consider cheating peers a big problem, especially in public swarms. That's why it's so disappointing Ludde doesn't chime in.

- He hasn't commented on the stuffer request in http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3162

- irc://irc.freenode.net/uTorrent, 12 December 2005 (GMT):

[23:04:13] <DrS-ut> ludde are you around?

[22:04:23] <ludde> hi

[22:04:41] <DrS-ut> hi

[22:05:03] <DrS-ut> would you care to comment on this request: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3162 ?

[22:05:13] <DrS-ut> ie give a fair opinion

[22:05:31] <DrS-ut> it's a loooong read

No reply on IRC, no reply in the forum. I call that ignoring.

- He also didn't comment on Switeck's and AllWeasel's many suggestions in http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3531

- So far he hasn't commented on the this thread either.

If the developer doesn't consider cheating peers a problem and ignores the feature requests that deal with them, it's pretty useles to continue making such requests. I fully understand Ludde doesn't owe me or any other user of his client anything, but a simple reply shouldn't be too much to ask for, should it? And don't respond with "Ludde hasn't got the time to respond to every feature request", we all know that's bogus: Ludde's forum profile, http://forum.utorrent.com/profile.php?id=2, shows 372 posts.

ludde doesn't need to comment on something or reply to something to be considering something. This is turning into a personal attack on ludde, so I'm closing the topic. Feel free to restart the thread when you realize that your questions might not be the most important ones in the world.

Archived