Newbie With a Query..........

Diggers Destroyers

Thanks to all who have created and helped with the torrent nation. I absolutely LOVE these files! Small and easy to send and download. Now, onto my questions.....

I'm relatively new to this and I have downloaded and watched many videos and used some of the software. I only have a couple of minor questions.

First, I recently changed my harddrive, so I had to reload my Utorrent program. Since I have done that, when I type a file or program name into the search box, and hit enter, it will only search through google or BitTorrent. I used to have Mininova, Piratebay and a couple of others. I don't remember loading those onto my system (like I said, I'm new). How do I get those "search engines" back into my search? Google doesnt do crap, and BitTorrent is helpful, but I have found that most of the files I get are from the others. Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Second, as far as the seeding goes, I noticed that when my computer is seeding, and I am being a part of the world sharing process, my computer seems to lag alot, if I am doing other things. Now, I'm not totally stupid, and I know that it is using some of my processor speed, but, is there a way to control this so that my computer doesn't lag so much? I'm assuming it is with the bandwith control, only allowing a certain amount of bits/sec to be downloaded or uploaded? If that is the case then I know what to do.

Once again, thanks to all who help and may you all have a happy holiday season.

Diggers Destroyers thanks you.

:)

Hmm, welcome and enjoy the stay. ;) First, if you didn't see in http://utorrent.com/faq.php it's possible to keep the same configuration from computer to computer by copying over %APPDATA%\uTorrent between them... but since you asked, search here for "search engine"... all new installations of uT don't come bundled with any torrent-specific sites due to... pressure from http://mafiaa.org :P

As far as the slowing down... do you have any http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software installed... or more pointed, do you know what AV/Firewall/Security software is installed?? When the computer lags, does CPU% increase? what about RAM usage?

Well, since you were just speaking Greek to me, I'll try and respond to the best of knowledge. LOL .

As far as copying over %APPDATA%\uTorrent, I have no idea how to do that. Since I still have the old harddrive, that I did not delete, can I just go into the folder for uTorrent and copy and paste that into this folder on this harddrive? If so, then I will do that.

I can say that if I go to these sites, I can click on the torrent, download it and then it will load right into the uTorrent program. I am ok with this, except it just makes it a longer process to find torrents that I want.

Now as far as AV/Firewall/Security software, i know that I have Norton Internet Security. I guess I'm using that as my firewall as well. AV? Audio/VIdeo? I have an Nvidia graphics card and an onboard audio card from the manufacturer.

I have a basic Presario Computer, but with upgrades.....

1024 Ram

NVidia Graphics Card (running 2 monitors)

Windows XP

If you can be specific with what you need, then I can help, I just don't know alot yet of technical terms.

Thanks for the help, and the immediate response time for the first post! :)

AV = Antivirus, Norton = shit. What version?

You can copy the appdata folder from the old drive, look in C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\uTorrent. On a currently running Windows install you can do Start > Run > %appdata%\uTorrent to open the current folder on your computer, unless you haven't run µT or copied over the old folder.

Well, thanks for the reply. The problem is that the way you described what to do, can't be done.

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\uTorrent cannot be done. When I goto C: drive, Documents and settings and User is there, but there is no Application Data, and if I go into program files, and click on uTorrent, there is nothing except the startup icon.

Now, if I click on Start > Run > %appdata%\uTorrent on the old hard drive, will that open the folder for me to copy THAT file? If so, then iI will try that. Otherwise, not sure what to do.

Thanks for all who read and help with this. This Program ROCKS, and I love using torrents! My next step is to try and create my own to share with the world.

Replace C: with the old drive letter. Application Data is a hidden folder. %appdata% will bring you to the location of appdata on the currently running system, for the old drive you will have to navigate there as indicated above unless you boot from the old drive.

I'm kinda going to do the same thing,I'm buying a new laptop and want to move everything over,most of my torrents are on an external hard drive so thats no problem.Some are in the appfile.For vista users type in %APPDATA%\uTorrent and the file will show. My question is do I just move the appfile and then start utorrent to make everything run again? I realize that the files in the external drive will work after that drive is installed on the new computer.Thanks for any help.

Archived