"System" process using 99% CPU while printing

splintax

Hey all,

No idea what would be a better place to post this (yeah, I know it's not a µT-related problem).

I'm having some problems with a PC here at work - as the subject says, while one of the printers is printing (an old Canon BJC-1000SP) the System process is chewing up around 99% CPU. This effectively means that we have to wait for each print job to complete before starting a new one, which is a real pain when we have to print out 5 or 6 reports that are all 2 pages or so long (especially since it's not exactly a fast printer).

First, does anybody have any ideas on how to fix it? I'm thinking it's probably a driver issue of some sort, so I'm gonna try and update those (if there are any updates available). Other than that, could someone explain to me what exactly the System process does? What does it handle that Windows doesn't do with a seperate process (for example, if this is to do with print spooling, why isn't it done by printspl.exe or something)?

Thanks in advance for any help..

splintax

• 1 year later...

i agree with firon. the drivers might be the cause. you can also remove the printer from control panel->printers and re-add it. if you use WinXP based drivers i'm most certain that this is the cause. try to find the newest drivers from Cannon. (not driverguide.com, etc.)

Archived