Disable sleep ala InsomniaX

polakatl

For some reason (its not heat) the MBPs don't have an option to disable sleep when lid is closed. I use InsomniaX to keep the laptop awake when using utorrent. I believe under windows utorrent disables sleep feature.

It would be great to have an option to disable sleep while downloading in uttorent. I believe InsomniaX uses a very simple approach to doing this.

Are you sure this is a concern? Apple allows the MBP to run in clamshell mode when there is an external monitor and mouse/keyboard present. The cooling vents work properly when it is closed. I use InsomniaX every night and when I open the MBP the temperatures are just fine. I can't speak for the macbook, but there should be no concerns with MBPs due to the design of the vents.

Please reconsider this option.

• 2 weeks later...

that contradicts apple's decision to allow you to use your MBP closed when connected to an external monitor and mouse/keyboard.

It would still be a nice feature, maybe with a warning if the devs feel it is dangerous. ither way I have a way to deal with it, but it would be nicer if uTorrent did it for me

EDIT:

here is a reference to apple's own article. It does not have any warnings about overheating. It allows you to do computing in clamshell mode. All I'm asking for is a little low cpu utorrent usage ;)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

From Apple's support page.

Important: Information about products not manufactured by Apple is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute Apple's recommendation or endorsement. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

So this means that if their support instructions mention a non apple product it is not endorsed by Apple. I don't think they are referring to their product's abilities. It would be foolish for official Apple support to tell you about this and then say that it is not endorsed or warrantied.

Either way I'm glad the clamshell mode is being considered for uTorrent. It would be a great addition. Thanks for listening and please keep this updated if you make progress.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived