Port has randomly closed; Assistance is definitely needed

Kajdav

I have used µTorrent for several months now, and since I initially forwarded my port (16880) I've only had a few minor problems. But every once in a while the port will close for no apparent reason. I haven't changed any settings or anything. So I go into my router settings and mess with the numbers for a while and nothing works. I just keep changing them and keep changing them, periodically going back to the original settings. After about 5~10 minutes I go back to the regular settings and it works (the port opens). This has happened several times. It happened again today, except now it won't go back to open. I have messed with it for the last 30 minutes and I keep getting closed port. In my router settings I have Utor1 opened on 16881, but I have the yellow triangle in µTorrent, and when I check to see if the port is open, it's always closed. I have tried with ports 16880, 16881, 16882, and others, but the outcome is the same. Again, I haven't changed any settings before that would cause the port to suddenly close. My router is a Linksys WRT55AG V2, and my computer is a Dell Dimension E520 connected Wirelessly. Any help would be appreciated, as this is causing me to download very slowly (~20 kbs down and 25~30 up).

Thanks!

EDIT: I just updated to 1.8.2, and now I get the green circle, but when I test to see if the port is forwarded, it still says it's closed.

EDIT2: OK, now it's yellow again... :(

EDIT3: OK, so it's basically just going back and forth now, but it still says my port is closed.

If this is a linksys router then port forwarding is problematic, sometimes ports dont stay open after it's closed.

For my linksys router if i see that happening i go to port forwarding page and turn off the port being port forwarded, then save it, then turn it back on and save it. That usually fixes it. If it doesnt, then powercycle the sucker.

I have a static IP, so it should not have changed. I am the only one on my network that really has the smarts to change anything, so any setting changes that might have happened I should know about.

And no, I don't have UPnP selected.

EDIT: Sorry Callous, didn't see your post. I have enabled, disabled, re-enabled, re-disabled, and just about any other -abled you can think of and it hasn't fixed it. At the moment I am not downloading anything, but if it's still being anal next time I am, then I'll try reseting it. I usually have to reset it every week or so anyways... :(

I suppose you could try updating the firmware to see if that fixes it. Being forced to reset it once a week is utterly unacceptable.

uPnP might be an acceptable workaround if that works for you but i view that as a security risk.

Question: do you have this same problem on all computers, or just 1 computer. I have seen in my case where 1 computer was acting up while other 2 computers worked just fine for port forwarding + uT. A total format and reinstall of windows fixed that. As to what went wrong, I am not sure. I do know it was confined to that 1 XP computer. You could test this by bypassing the router and connecting straight to modem. If it's still blocked then ya, it's the computer..

I only have µTorrent installed on one computer. I am not using uPnP, as it does not work with my router. Hence the static ip and port forwarding.

@Moogly: automatic ul rate, unlimited dl rate, 250 maximum connections, 90 maximum connections per torrent, 4 upload slots per torrent, and I have use additional upload slots checked. I have a slow internet connection in the first place (512kbps).

@Callous again: I just updated the firmware yesterday, but it's too soon to tell if it has fixed my resetting problem.

Archived