Speed Problems - Are you adding D/L limiters based on U/L speed???

daMANiack

Hi,

Currently using µTorrent 1.4.1.405-406. On my current torrent download, the stats are, 5(63), 143(3867) so it is a well populated 0-Day torrent.

I have ADSL2+ 24000/1000 and Line Sync at 17600/1000. I find my download speeds are totally unacceptable.

Are you limiting download speeds based on upload sharing speeds???

I'm quite prepared to share past 100%, but I hate having to set upload speed at 75-80KB/s to get downloads of 50-70KB/s.

I've followed your forum and tutorial tips, what gives.

Why do I have use most of my upload bandwidth to get only reasonable download speeds?

It really suckz in my opinion.

I have used the TCP/IP patcher and use 600 connections Total, 200 per torrent. Most of the time, I'm only downloading just the 1 torrent.

Cheerz ;^)

On my current torrent download, the stats are, 5(63), 143(3867) so it is a well populated 0-Day torrent.

Well populated of leeches... ;) There is one seed for every 61 peers, do the math. What do you expect in a torrent like that? Performance depends heavily on the torrent quality, you've jumped too soon on that one.

On my current torrent download' date=' the stats are, 5(63), 143(3867) so it is a well populated 0-Day torrent.[/quote']

Well populated of leeches... ;) There is one seed for every 61 peers, do the math. What do you expect in a torrent like that? Performance depends heavily on the torrent quality, you've jumped too soon on that one.

Hi,

OK, but why are my download speeds so dependant on my upload speed. I would've thought that setting an upload speed of 20-30KB/s would give me the MAX I can get with that .torrent which is say, 60-80KB/s.

I had to increase u/l to 80 to get 60-80 d/l, that's that part that I can't accept. In that capacity, even though I'm a peer, I'm acting as a seeder, seeding at a higher rate than most others.

Cheerz ;^)

Damaniak, I've seen this situation too often myself, there's very little you can do but cap your upload to your download speed, limit connections per torrent and limit upload slots for a while until the torrent picks up speed.

The combined upload capacity of those 5 seeds is probably not redistributed in full throughout the swarm by all the peers you are connected to. It could be because those peers have limited their upload so much. uTorrent has no mechanism to find peers that set high upload speed like you would. Because of that, it will blindly go through its own choke/unchoke-inactive/disconnect cycle with every peer even if they only send you a tiny amount of data in a long period of time.

You may think it's a good idea to increase connections per torrent and upload slots but that just plays right into their hands because you'll also be sending more data to all those upload slots.

uTorrent plays nice by default but it has no way to make sure other peers play nice as well. In fact, very few clients have that ability.

Actually, there is something you can do but it doesn't do miracles. Set connections per torrent to 50, set upload slots to 10, set upload speed to 50-60, set peer.disconnect_inactive_interval to 600 (10 minutes), start the torrent. Wait 10 minutes (or more) to sift through inactive peers then increase connections per torrent to at least 250-300. Wait 10 minutes (or more) again then reduce connections per torrent back down to 50. What this will do is increase the probability that you connect to good peers during that time you set a high number of connections and increase the probability that you will keep them when you bring that number back down to 50.

ML

Archived