deleting torrents doesn't work

fingershop

I've been using uT for a year now, and I've never been able to delete .torrent files from my folders using the uT gui. I've read many posts here that talk about the same problem, but no working resolution has been posted that I could find.

Here's some info on this issue:

- I'm using uT 1.8.2

- running on XP sp3 with Fat32 and NTFS (the issue happens anywhere I save the .torrent files)

- my torrent files are not flagged as read-only

- none of the uT .torrent locations is configured (all 3 options unchecked)

- uT is not set to delete to trash

- uT does delete the *copy* of the .torrent from the appdata dir, but it never deletes the original from where I saved it

- using the SysInternals tool called FileMon, I can see that uT doesn't even *try* to delete the original

- I've used every uT method trying to delete these .torrent files via the gui:

- remove button

- right-click remove button

- right-click torrent and choose Remove and delete .torrent + data

- shift-del on the torrent

Why won't the uT gui delete the .torrent files for me? These files keep building up, and its difficult to always know which .torrent file goes with which download in the gui list, so its essential that the gui be able to remove the torrent from the list and delete the matching .torrent file at the same time.

Thanks for the great bt client, btw.

uT deletes only ONE copy of each .torrent, this one saved in %appdata%\utorrent by default or in the folder you set in Preferences > Directories.

So

- uT does delete the *copy* of the .torrent from the appdata dir, but it never deletes the original from where I saved it

is a non-bug.

I really need uT to delete the .torrent files from their original locations, which changes all the time depending on what I'm doing. I can't use the .torrent location preference, since I save different .torrent files in different folders depending on what they are (music, movies, series, apps, books, etc.).

Is there a way to get uT to delete the original .torrent files, no matter where they're saved? I don't know if this is a bug, but its certainly not operating the way I need it to, or the way other BT clients I've used operate.

Just open directly .torrents with your web browser and delete the TEMP directory regularly. You can't specify a different folder for each .torrent copy saved by uT for the download.

In addition it's really better to have all the .torrents in the same folder like %appdata%\utorrent or in the folder you set in Preferences > Directories (e.g a subfolder in %appdata%\utorrent) for a back-up and a potential migration.

If you remove only data, you can retrieve easily the .torrent to reload it later. That's not the case if you remove manually the folder with your data, you can too remove the .torrent unintentionally.

Thanks Firon.

*sigh*

I really appreciate all the work that goes into a great tool like uTorrent. I just get so frustrated that I'm always having to change the way I work to fit what the software can do, when it should be the other way around.

I started using uTorrent because its so quick on its feet. There are just some features from Azureus that I really do miss. And this is one of them.

Moogly, with respect, what works well for you just doesn't work well for me at all. I don't like launching torrents from my browser. I also don't like having all my .torrent files in one folder. If I did I'd literally have hundreds of them in there, since I save collections of them one day and then sort through which ones I actually want to download days or weeks later. When I delete a torrent (and the .torrent file) I always delete the data at the same time, since it means I've copied or archived the data somewhere else, and my share ratio is good too.

Maybe its a different way of operating, but its something I've done for years with other torrent clients. If you've only ever used uTorrent then you would never know that you could use a method like this, one that I find so helpful. I just wish I could do this with uTorrent, because its so good in other ways.

When I delete a torrent (and the .torrent file) I always delete the data at the same time, since it means I've copied or archived the data somewhere else, and my share ratio is good too.

uT is not incomptible with this way, you can use "Remove .torrent + Data", that does the same thing even if the .torrent is saved in a different folder than the data. And you can load automatically a batch of torrents you have saved since few days or weeks.

Softwares have pros and cons, you have to do with that.

In all my testing, using "Remove .torrent + Data" only removes the torrent files from the one defined torrent storage folder. If I keep my torrents in any folder other than that one folder then they never get deleted automatically.

But, ooh! I just had an idea...

I store my .torrent files in the same folder as the data they belong to. This instantly lets me know which .torrent belongs to which data, since they share the same parent folder.

I can understand that you don't want to add or store the extra info needed to track the location of the original .torrent files, since you copy them from their original location into that one folder. It keeps things simple.

Here's the idea:

When I tell uTorrent to delete the .torrent file, it deletes it from the storage folder. But... it could easily also delete it from the "Save As" folder, which is already known for each torrent. I'm guessing this could be achieved with just a few lines of new code? Simply look for the same-named .torrent file in the data's parent folder, and delete that file if its there.

What do you think?

Archived