Downloading multiple torrents

TyroneWatt

Hi

Not sure if there is a new setting im missing or if somethings gone wrong.

I recently updated to version 1.8.3 and since then I cant have more than 6 active torrents at 1 time.

The previous version worked fine and the settings appear to have carried over correctly.

It shows the max seeds and peers, of which some of them are over 15000 but always sets the available to zero.

e.g. 0 (15251). This is the same for seeds and peers.

As soon as one of the active torrents completes, then the next torrent "suddenly" finds peers available to download from.

Obviously this limits the downloads if the active torrents are slow or not well seeded, then they block the torrents below.

In my queue settings i have active torrents as 50 and active downloads as 25.

In bandwidth settings i have global max connections as 200 and peers per torrent as 30.

All the torrents in the list (even the ones show 0 available) have the blue arrow pointing down and a status of downloading.

Am i missing something or this an issue with the latest 1.8.3?

Thanks

Ty.

It's possible your bandwidth is maxxed out. You may say "download 50 at a time", but if the most you can push through your pipe is 400mbps and you hit that with 6 torrents, it can't connect to anyone. Also, it's possible you have the maximum number of connections. You set 30 per torrent, and a max of 200 total. 30x6=180. So if they're maxing out, you can get 6 and 2/3 of a torrent.

Basically NOBODY has a 400 megabit/second line.

...Well besides a few nutters in Sweden or a very lucky person in a major server datacenter. :)

You have to consider EVERY actively downloading torrent as uploading as well! And each upload slot they get NEEDS at least 1 KB/sec absolute minimum. So even if upload slots is set to only 1 per torrent, it's not fair to anyone to have more torrents downloading than your upload speed is in KiloBYTES/second. :(

You'll probably get better download speed (at least on torrents that don't have 10 seeds per peer) if you're uploading faster per torrent. ...even if that means running considerably fewer torrents at once!

Use advanced settings to get uTorrent to (slowly) ignore slow torrents and not count them as active. This means up to 1 minute for uTorrent to quit counting a slow torrent as active.

Lastly, you (TyroneWatt) seem to be on Rogers Cable ISP in Canada...they disrupt BitTorrent traffic probably in multiple ways. So uTorrent may not be working well for that reason alone. :(

Ill try lower that and see what happens. I have no problem maxing out and only downloading 6 if thats what is happening, but i get the 6 torrents stuck at around 30kbs Down and 5kbs up, which is 1/4 of the max, and the rest of the downloads just wait. The reason i queried was those settings worked fine with 1.8.2 and this "waiting" issue never occurred. When I "unlimited" the downloads i would get a constant 120Kbs download with as many torrents downloading as the connection allowed where as now it remains around 30kbs and the line is never fully utilised.

Which setting do i need to change to ignore the slow torrents?

Thanks for the help.

Basically NOBODY has a 400 megabit/second line.

...Well besides a few nutters in Sweden or a very lucky person in a major server datacenter.

It depends. For 60€/month you have a dedicated server with 1 Gbps, 4 GB of DDR2 and 250 GB of HD. So it's possible even if that costs. :P

moogly, that is more than twice as fast as 400 megabit/second. I meant exactly a 400 megabit/second line -- most are either 100 megabit/second, 155 (for OC-3?), or 1 gigabit/second.

TyroneWatt,

You need to read uTorrent's manual for how to configure its advanced settings on that...I've never really messed with it.

Archived