Ratio Watch

ch33z3

there has been some brief talk about per tacker options and stats... this would be a good place for maintaining a fixed ratio on certain tracker that need a specific ratio e.g. private trackers.

I am very PRO private trackers so i am biased but i believe this would be a killer feature for many many users

If you get on the torrent too late, you'll never get it since you won't be able to upload. How do you start the download in the first place - since you have to download before you can upload?

Why don't you just leave it seeding for a long time? What's the point of downloading the file at all if you're not going to get the whole thing?

one downside of private sites is that they can get to many seeds. When you get into these swarms you can find that you max out your download and have virtually no upload.

Since private sites usually work on a ratio you can very quickly get into a situtaiton that you have a very bad ratio. Its not that you dont want to seed its just that the seed to peer ratio is very high.

That is thinking a bit small though as on a per single torrent basis anything can happen.

What would be nice is if you could set a ratio to maintain on a per tracker basis.

So say you set a min ratio of 0.5 on tracker XYZ...

uT could stop automatically stop/cap you downlaod to match your upload so that you dont go below this ratio (on a tracker basis not a single torrent basis)

There is also scope for uT to mange upload priority in a way as to make best use of the finite upload speed to spread accross all trackers (based on your per tracker settings)

uT could stop automatically stop/cap you downlaod to match your upload so that you dont go below this ratio (on a tracker basis not a single torrent basis)

Then you'll have to wait longer before the download is complete. I think it's smarter to keep your files longer until the majority don't seed anymore and you can serve the very late downloaders.

On most private tracker once your ratio falls below a certain level you have a finite time to get your ratio back up.

So for many users it would be safer to have uT manage this ratio by shaping your up/down bandwidth so you dont risk losing your private account.

I agree that it is better to seed for longer in the spirit of P2P however by downloading fast you risk not being a member long enough to serve late downlaoders.

Obviously poeople can do this manually but the idea of telling uT to manage it for you is very appealing and would not be prone to user error of forgetfulness.

• 7 months later...

i was just going to post a similar request and thought i'd be smart and search first, so i'm bumping this back up

what i'm thinking is many of my different private sites have different ratio requirements for different privilages, and they are hard to keep track of though i currently do ok

if i could set a list of trackers and ratios, and anything not specified set another ratio it would be great

The main problem with this is that uTorrent would never be able to accurately track the ratio that the tracker records.

So say you set a min ratio of 0.5 on tracker XYZ... uT could stop automatically stop/cap you downlaod to match your upload so that you dont go below this ratio (on a tracker basis not a single torrent basis)

And how, exactly, would uTorrent maintain an accurate ratio for each tracker? Every private tracker has different rules/regs/ratios. For example, how would uTorrent know when a torrent is a 'freebie' or when a tracker is having a 'free leech weekend'? In those cases the client would restrict your download, totally screwing up the point of the freebies. It would require every tracker to submit the user's ratio as part of the torrent data. Undoubtedly the next request would then be "can uTorrent ban all users with ratios of less than 0.1", etc., etc..

Fact is, if you're on a private tracker, you need to manage your ratio. It's not something for the BT client....

Archived