PEX enabled by default on new torrents, 1.4.1 build 411

pHluid

When adding new torrents in build 411, it enables Peer Exchange, even though it's turned off in the options dialog.

Semi-relevant options are configured as follows:

Enable DHT Network: True

Enable DHT for new torrents: False

Enable Scraping: False

Peer Exchange: False

I assume desired behaviour is for Peer Exchange to default to off if Peer Exchange is disabled in the options dialog, and allow it to be enabled on a per-torrent basis?

Private trackers generally frown (albeit less so than DHT) on Peer Exchange.

the private flag disables both, you know that right?

also, turn on the logger and see if it's actually performing any peer exchange.

Well aware. Problem (as I understand it) is that a lot of user-created torrents don't set the private flag when they're supposed to. Which leads, directly or indirectly, to stats-reporting loss, tracker-leeching, etc, according to at least some tracker admins. Long story short, the admins of some sites I use ask that we turn it off, regardless of private flagging, so I do. I just manually enable it for public torrents.

I'll enable logging and report back with whether or not any peer exchanging is actually happening next chance I get.

Does that really matter? Heh.

The question here is the intended behaviour of the client, not whether or not the admins and/or users of some sites I use are morons. ;)

For the record though, yah, I believe you can force the private flag on with the use of a PHP script. For whatever reason, several of the admins have decided that this isn't good enough/too hard to implement/not worth it since they're about to rework the site anyways with whole new code/etc.

Back to the matter at hand however:

What exactly will a peer exchange look like in the logger? I've tried it on one test torrent so far and didn't see anything immediately obvious.

Which is why I asked to check if it was still happening. :P

Er, not sure what you mean there ;P

You mean it would, in fact, be immediately obvious in the logger, and the fact that I don't see it means it isn't happening; that the checkbox is just a UI bug? Or...?

Archived